She was close to leaving the kitchens, her face heating with shame and foolishness, when a voice stopped her.

"What would your parents say?" Finn teased, stepping into the kitchens. He crept towards her with slow, long steps, his eyes dark and mischievous. "Sneaking away from the party to meet with a boy in the kitchens?"

"Considering he's a Cauley," Alice started, "I suspect my mother would be very proud, actually."

Finn quirked a brow, pausing a few steps away from her.

"Meet any nice guests tonight?" he asked.

Alice raised her brows. She hadn't been expecting him to ask about her guests.

"Same as usual," she said slowly, watching him to see what he was getting at.

"Well," Finn said, taking a step towards her. "It's been virtually impossible to try and get your attention tonight. Everyone seemed enthralled with the Travers Princess—more than usual."

"Yes, well," she shifted, placing her glass down. "Now that I've graduated, my father has decided I need to work on my schmoozing of old men. It's just vital for my future, apparently."

"But seeing as the party's practically over," Finn said slowly. "You've finished for now?"

"Yes," she said, and he took another step. "I think I've schmoozed enough for the night."

"So..." he smiled, stepping closer. "You're saying you have nothing else to worry about for now?"

"Well..." she faltered as he took another step. "I guess so. Yes."

"Brilliant," he breathed, taking a last step, and wrapping his arms around her waist. He leaned down, catching her mouth with his.

Alice shuddered. She'd spent the week secluded in her room or the library, always studying. When was the last time they'd kissed like this? She'd missed it.

Feeling the same way, Finn's grip tightened, and he released a low groan from deep in his throat. His fingers dug into her waist, pulling her close against his body. She sighed into the kiss, reaching her hands up to cup his face. He tilted his head, deepening the kiss, his hands lowering to her hips, their thighs pressing against each other.

Finn pulled away to catch his breath, his dark eyes flickering between hers. Her hand moved to rest on his chest as her back dug into the kitchen bench behind her, the metal sending a chill up her spine.

"Finn," she gasped eventually, her lips still tingling.

"God, Alice," he murmured beneath his breath, leaning down to catch her lips again. She melted under his touch, tasting nothing but mint. She memorised the feeling of his fingers against her jaw and his hair gripped in her hands.

A minute passed before she pulled away to meet his eyes again.

"Finn," she repeated. "I keep thinking about what you said."

He moved closer, his lips attaching to the skin beneath her jaw. He hummed questioningly against her body, causing the hairs on the back of her neck to raise.

She struggled to find her words as his lips pressed gently against her skin, his teeth brushing over her neck as he travelled to her collarbone. She swallowed thickly, her eyes fluttering shut.

"About always having a choice," she continued eventually, her heart thumping in her chest.

Finn blinked, moving back to arch a brow at her. "Oh?"

"And," she started slowly, "I think you're right."

He smirked at her, "Of course I am."

"I mean, I always thought I had no choice," she said, allowing her hand to absentmindedly trace over his chest. "Because if I ever did something that I wanted, I'd be punished."