20. Anniversaire

20. Anniversaire

Birthday

Alice Sabine Travers was born on Christmas Eve.

Her mother had always called her an early Christmas present and took it upon herself to hold the biggest annual Christmas ball in honour of her daughter's birthday.

But this year was special because Alice was officially an adult. She'd graduated school now. She was finished with her HSC exams.

She was an adult.

Alice stared at her reflection. She wore a floor length red dress that pooled at her feet and hugged her body, her long black hair pulled in waves around her face.

Her final exams had gone by quickly. After her trials, she had been more than prepared for her last tests of her high school career, she'd barely needed to study.

When November hit, and her exams were officially over, Alice finally had time to get to work.

She hadn't forgotten all that Heather had done to her, and when she heard that Heather was still coming tonight despite it all, she began to plan.

Alice may not have been able to step a toe out of line, but if Heather started it—if Heather publicly stepped out of line first...

It began slowly.

Checking guest lists, scanning hundreds of names to pull out the few she knew Heather would be attending for.

There were three that stood out.

First, Anya Vaughn, A-list celebrity. Heather had always been a fan of hers, and she just happened to be doing a tour in Sydney near Alice's birthday. Of course, she would be attending.

Second was Spencer Church. He was only a few years older than the two, but he was already taking over his mother's law firm. If Heather could make a connection there, her parent's firm could become the most famous in the country.

But Alice was betting on Jacques Dupont.

Jacques Dupont was the most exclusive fashion designer Alice could think of. Heather was constantly gushing over his designs. She'd never outright begged, but she'd hinted many times that Alice should invite him to one of her parents' parties.

And so, she had, without even thinking.

It had been so simple back then. Her friend liked the designer, Alice's mother had met the designer—why wouldn't she invite him?

That was where she began.

All it took was a gift. First to Anya—a brand new Leo Tucker purse, not even in stores yet, that Alice knew she wouldn't be able to resist posting on Instagram.

Then a call. Spencer Church was not one for pop culture, but after their brief conversation, he was Anya's newest fan, at least, judging by the comment he left on her latest picture.

From there, the rest was easy.

Hairdressers Alice could book away from Heather in the hours before the party. Makeup artists who were suddenly too busy to show up.

Alice couldn't wait to see Heather tonight.

"Oh, my dear, you look so beautiful."

Alice spun to find her mother at her door. Her black hair that Alice had inherited was pulled into a loose updo, and she wore a golden dress that fell to the floor, brushing her ankles. She held a hand to her lips as she watched her daughter.