15. Sauver

15. Sauver

To Save

"And in first place, Alice Travers and Julia Mathews. Well done, ladies."

Alice blinked, feeling Julia's hands clutch her shoulder, shaking her in excitement.

"We came first!" Julia squealed.

Slowly, a wide smile grew over Alice's face and she pulled Julia into a tight hug. "We did!"

The excitement vibrated off the pair, drowning out the sound of the bell that signalled the end of class.

"Finally," Julia sighed, packing her chemistry lab manual into her backpack. "I'm dying for a nap. I can finally relax without trials or that chemistry presentation on our backs anymore."

Alice laughed in agreement. "I'm glad it's over. Except for that chem quiz next week."

"Oh, that barely matters," Julia said, waving a hand. "Now we only have the Debutante Ball to worry about."

She looked at Alice, wagging her brows up and down.

"Right," Alice said, grinning. "Will you be going with Amy?"

"Yes. Her brother will be presenting us both." Julia smiled to herself, slinging her backpack over her shoulder. She turned to face Alice as they stepped out of the laboratory. "Are you going with Theo McKay?"

Alice felt her smile falter, but she nodded.

She hadn't seen Theo since she'd kissed Finn. Although they weren't official, she couldn't help but feel a little guilty for it.

He had been growing more and more distant, talking only through clipped text messages and late-night phone calls. Alice hoped the Debutante Ball might change things, maybe even make them finally official—she was at least looking forward to chatting in person for a few hours.

And then going back to his place after.

Alice warmed, desperate to change the subject. "What are you planning to wear?"

"Oh, I've been saving for months." Julia giggled. "It's this long white gown with, like, a lace bodice and... Oh, it's just the prettiest dress I've ever owned!"

"It sounds gorgeous." Alice smiled. The pair shuffled through the halls before pushing through the main exit, exiting towards the main parking lot.

"What about you?" Julia queried, arching a curious brow.

"I don't really have a choice." Alice chuckled. "My parents chose my dress, so I don't know what it looks like. I'll see it for the fittings, though."

"Oh," Julia said simply.

They paused suddenly as they reached Alice's car to see Emily leaning against the hood.

"Emily?" Alice blinked.

"Oh." Julia stepped back awkwardly. "I'll see you on Monday, Alice."

Before Alice could utter a word, Julia waved a hand and sped across the parking lot. She turned back slowly to face Emily who sent her a friendly smile.

"Hey, Alice." Emily grinned. She pushed off the hood of the car.

"What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean? We always meet here after school."

"Well, I haven't seen you much since Monday."

Emily sighed. "Oh, come on, Alice. I'm just trying to fix things. I don't want us all to fight like this. We're graduating soon."