19. Vérité

19. Vérité

Truth

"You're friends with Emily again?"

Alice jumped from her desk, spinning to find Finn Cauley standing at her door, his arms crossed as he leaned against the doorframe. He narrowed his eyes at her, and she felt herself relax a little.

Her eyes fell to his body and she realised he was still wearing his school uniform—tie and blazer and all. She felt her face warm. She had to admit, he looked good when he polished up.

Snapping her eyes back up to glare at him, she put her hands on her hips.

"What are you doing here, Cauley?" she scowled, glaring at him. "I'm in the middle of studying."

His gaze drifted to her desk before slowly dragging back to her face. He scrutinised her with sharp grey eyes and she felt herself warm beneath his stare.

"Well, I was waiting for you since we'd agreed that I'd drive you home," he began slowly, raising a brow. "Only to discover Emily Sinclair drove you back."

"Right." Alice sighed. Suddenly, she felt guilty for being so aggressive. "Sorry. I completely forgot to tell you."

He growled, stepping into her room, and shutting the door behind him. "Did you forget that she was the one who was happily making out with your boyfriend, what, a day ago?"

"It's none of your business, Cauley."

"Yes, as you keep reminding me. And yet, here I am, as usual, trying to stop you from being an idiot." He set her with a condescending glare. "A hopeless feat, really."

Alice glowered in anger, all remnants of guilt vanishing at his insult. She hated being condescended to. She crossed her arms over her chest and set him with an equally harsh glare.

"I can be friends with whoever I want."

"Right, and that bitch is at the top of your list?"

"Don't call her a bitch!" Alice shouted, stepping towards him.

He scowled at her, rushing forward and pinning her against her desk. She clenched her jaw, refusing to cower beneath him, but she was vaguely aware of his hand so close to her hip, and his breath against her lips. She bit back a shudder.

"Why are you still defending her?" he asked lowly, shaking his head in disbelief. "She's a bitch, and you know it."

"She's not," Alice defended herself. "It was Theo's fault. He's the one who kissed her. Not the other way around."

He quirked a brow. "Right, and who told you that? Theo?"

"I mean—" her voice wavered. "Emily told me."

He snorted, rolling his eyes. "And of course, you believed her."

"Well, she's my best friend, Cauley. I can't throw away years of friendship for something like this. Haven't you ever heard of mistresses before?"

She knew it was a low blow. Rumours about Mr Cauley's many mistresses had been floating around since they were children. She remembered at seven years old, asking her social etiquette teacher was a mistress was.

"Sometimes, men have needs that their wives cannot fulfill," her teacher had told her sagely.

It was a normal part of their world. Mr Cauley took what he wanted, when he wanted. Mrs Cauley took her frustration out on Finn.

Finn, whose eyes now glowered at Alice, his lips pressed into a tight line. "And you're just suddenly okay with that?"

Alice sighed, shaking her head. "It's just another part of the world we live in, isn't it? I needed to get used to it eventually."