05. Déni

05. Déni

Denial

"Was that Cauley at your place?"

Alice stopped sipping her milkshake and glanced at Theo through her eyelashes. He watched her from across the table, his brows furrowed and leg shaking. She knew he'd ask eventually. She'd been waiting for that question all night.

"Yes. His parents are over for a dinner," she said calmly.

"Why?"

Alice blinked. "Theo. Our parents are business partners. You know that."

He scoffed, craning his neck for a moment, a vein there twitching. He drew in a long breath, moving to lean his elbows onto the table, like Alice was trying his patience.

"Yeah," he said. "But why did Cauley have to be there?"

Alice's brow wrinkled at that. She didn't actually know. He'd skipped dozens of dinners and parties before. Why was he suddenly showing up now?

"I suppose his parents would have made him..." she trailed off, confused.

Theo sipped his coffee and said, "I guess."

It was silent for a minute while the pair finished their drinks, then Theo slid around the booth to hook his arm over her shoulder. Alice leaned into him. He wore his rugby jersey and she snuggled into his chest, letting his warmth wash over her, letting his fingers massage her arm, rubbing circles over her skin.

Her eyes fluttered shut for a moment and she let herself savour the moment. A minute of silence. A minute of no responsibilities. No expectations.

"Let's get out of here," he whispered close to her ear, his breath fanning over her neck.

"Theo," she muttered. Her shoulders stiffened. She attempted to keep her voice light; Travers-like. "I have to be home by ten."

He groaned. His hand moved from her arm. "Why do you always have to be such a goodie-two-shoes?"

Her jaw clenched at the nickname, but she kept her smile warm and her voice sweet. "You know we have a physics exam tomorrow morning."

"And?" he asked with a snort.

She shook her head. Of course, he wouldn't understand. Despite being raised in the same circles, Theo's world was opposite Alice's. The McKays, while recognisable, were not at the level of Alice's father. Besides, Theo was a firstborn son. He was white. He would never understand the measures Alice had to live up to.

Alice put in ten times the effort of men like Theo, all for scraps.

Maybe if she were born male, she would be sitting in on business meetings rather than dinner parties. Maybe if she were born male, she would be inheriting the entire family business, or the main Australian branch, rather than the new French branch. And even then, that was temporary. Her husband would be the true heir. Not Alice. Never Alice.

Alice frowned, staring at the table. Staring at their half empty glasses, their cleared plates. She suddenly didn't feel like finishing her milkshake. Her stomach stirred. Theo shifted slightly, gathering her more tightly towards his chest.

She felt insecure for a moment, at the thought of people seeing her, a Travers, showing affection so publicly like this. Except, the diner wasn't typically the kind of place her parents' crowd hung around.

Besides, she'd taken Theo to a few public events. She planned on being introduced by him at their debutante. It was the socialite equivalent of a wedding contract, signed and submitted a few years early. It wouldn't be much of a scandal if they were caught, hugging in a squeaky old diner booth.