33 - The Luminance Of Night

Start from the beginning

I can protest, but she already leaves. Interview again? I have been answering the same question for weeks, aren't they so fed up looking at the same face?

But it's not a bad thing, though. I have plenty of time to waste.

After breakfast, I start cleaning the whole unit. Then I will water the plants I have, placed on the balcony of this place. It's spring, these sunflowers and mini-flora roses will bloom soon. I'm kinda worried about the plants I also grew in our home in Miyagi. I'm 85% sure that they got killed by the winter. That's sad.

I don't have any idea how do I manage to spend my day, but I'm about to meet the interviewer. I take a final check to my appearance before leaving. My hair has grown to shoulder level and I still have the same face.

And just because it's spring, the cold is over. I'm wearing a white loose blouse tucked in high-waisted jeans, a very light avocado green asymmetrical coat, and a pair of flat loafer shoes.

I think I'm good, so I go outside. The note that Mom gave me says that the interview will be held in a cafe near Wakabahigashi Park, at 5 PM. The park is not far from the building we're living in, and I prefer walking.

Meanwhile, I reach the cafe. I still have twenty-five minutes before the interview starts. I buy something, but the seats are all occupied. And if the interviewer is here, then that person would've called me. I guess that I'm early, or that person should be earlier than me. Anyway, I need a seat. I go outside, and gladly, there's a plaza in front of the cafe. If they didn't find me there, because of lacking seats, they'll know where to go. Basic instincts.

I'm seated on the free benches alone and enjoy this frappe. But it feels refreshing to see the children play. Youthful spirits are blooming like these cherry blossom trees. So free. I wish I had a childhood as they have.

Soon, 5 PM came. It ponders me if they're looking at the cafe? Should I look for them? Geh, pain in the butt.

Then, I'll try to find the interviewers.

I have the attempt to stand up, but I remain sitting after all. It's because someone occupies the left space of the bench. I could have stood up just fine, not after I saw one of the saltiest jerks in my life. Or the only saltiest jerk.

"Can I talk to you a second?" he promptly says.

What is he even doing here? The nerves he has.

I sigh, "I don't have a second. I have an interview, so I'll take my leave." I try to stand, but I'm just pulled back by him. "What's wrong with you?" I say with a displayed annoyance.

"You're not going anywhere, because last time I check, you're doing an interview with me."

He's just said that so passively as though he holds leverage on me. And it makes me even more infuriating!

"Oh, really?" I feign a smile, pointedly staring at him with an icy coldness. "The last time I check, for your information, I can run away from an interview." Then I pull my hand, but he's got a firm grip on it!

"I know you can," he coyly says, "but I won't let you."

I calm myself down, by breathing out the negative energy, because I don't want to snap my patience.

If I'll connect the dots . . . he'll have me interviewed, whilst Mom who informed me about this interview, then it means . . . Sigh. I don't wanna think that I'm right with my speculation, but this reasonable fact is staring me at the face.

"What do you want, Kei?" I say coldly, putting my frappe aside.

Somehow, the skeptic atmosphere between us has gone. Then another batch of spring breeze comes, dragging along the sweet aroma of the cherry blossoms. I'm just watching the children play. They're so free just like the wind, going up to the unlimited possible direction.