Does It Matter? - Evan "Buck" Buckley

I had been called to the scene of another fire. Apparently whoever started this fire didn't think it would be reported and put out so quickly.

They found a body inside. A slightly charred, barely hidden, very dead body. Since the fire had been put out so quickly it was clear to tell the man had been stabbed to death prior to the house being set on fire.

Thank goodness for a nosy neighbor who saw suspicious activity and called it in right away. Eventually we would have been able to tell he was dead before the fire, but knowing immediately gave us all a giant head start.

When I arrived on scene the first thing that caught my eye was how focused everyone was, everyone wanted to catch whoever did it. The second thing I noticed was one of the firefighters on scene, Evan Buckley.

Buck and I ran in some of the same circles given what we do for a living, him being a firefighter and myself a crime scene investigator. We had met at a party a little while back and had hit it off but nothing ever came of it, but dang if he didn't look good in that uniform.

We exchanged smiles as I was being filled in quickly before being set free to do my job. His smile still made my heart race.

"Who in the world would want to stab this guy 7 times in the chest so close together and then set the house on fire?" I said more to myself since I didn't think anyone was around.

"8 times, and I'm guessing someone who wanted him dead" I turned to face Buck with a smirk on his face.

"Oh yeah, smart guy? First of all where's the 8th stab mark and second, who would want him dead?" I crossed my arms playfully.

"Back of his neck, you can barely see it if you look from the side" he explained making me take a closer look. Damn, he was right. "And The Who's of this case are for you to try to figure out, darling"

I smiled at the way he called me darling. He was still devastatingly adorable.

"I will definitely do my best. I don't think this guy was counting on you guys doing your job so well, there had to have been evidence left behind this place is barely burnt. I'm sure we'll get something" I explained focusing on what I had to do.

"I'm sure he's not counting on you doing your job so well either" he smiled.

"We'll just have to wait and see on that one" I giggled.

"Come on, you're the best tech they have...and the cutest" his words made my face heat up and I'm sure there was a noticeable blush on my cheeks.

"You don't think Meyer is adorable?" I joked motioning to the elderly, overweight male crime scene tech that loved what he did so much he never wanted to stop doing it.

"Close second" he laughed holding his thumb and pointer finger out motioning the little bit sign.

It was always this easy with him, which made things so much more difficult in my head. Why couldn't he just ask me out? Or better yet, just kiss me already. There's been multiple times I've wanted to go for it and just kiss him instead but alas, I'm a chicken.

"You're adorable" I finally laughed out without realizing I even said it.

"Oh really?" He started with an eyebrow raised and an amused look on his face as I took pictures.

"Oh really" I joked continuing taking pictures.

"Well what if, and this is just an idea hear me out, since you're cute and I'm adorable maybe we should grab dinner sometime or something" he stated making me stop in my tracks.

"Are you...asking me out with a dead body right here?" I asked looking up from the camera.

"Does it matter?" He looked at me with a curious smile.

"Absolutely not" I laughed pulling myself to stand up.

"Saturday?" He looked at me hopeful.

"Well, I don't know I'm pretty booked up I'll have to check my, yes I will be there" I laughed making his smile widen.

I pulled a pen out of my pocket and jotted down my phone number onto his palm.

"Text or call me with the details" I smiled at him before going back to my work.

He started walking away before he turned back to me.

"Hey, Y/N?" He asked softly.

"Yeah?"

"Did you really think it was weird I asked you out, you know, here?" He looked at me quizzically.

"Does it matter?" I giggled.

"Not at all, you said yes. That's all that matters" he smiled. "You said yes" he said seemingly more to himself than anything. "She said yes" he half yelled running back to his coworkers leaving me shaking my head with a smile.

And looking forward to Saturday.

Requested by: @narryyears

Thank you for requesting! ❤️