"How is that possible?" I probed.

"Gods and Goddess can't reproduce with another of their kind, but they can if it's with a human. Their offspring end up being half god and half human – demigods."

"Where are Aergia's children now?"

"They're still living in Sloth City, but some are more well-off than others," she responded simply.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I was still trying to come to terms with the fact gods and goddesses could have children, let alone that there was bad blood in Aergia's family tree.

Raven shrugged. "Just that some took as much wealth as they could with them when they realised their family ties were crumbling. Her daughter Artemis, for example, foresaw the family split coming, so ensured she took her fair share of money before she left. She now owns the tallest building in the city. The others...well, many of them are doing it just as tough as everyone else."

I bit my lip in thought. "When I saw Sloth City, though, it didn't look like anyone had much wealth at all."

Raven pointed her feather duster in my direction again. "That's because you were only looking in the east. The wealthier families are in the west."

I could feel a headache incoming. But Raven appeared to have lowered her guard; I couldn't imagine a servant being allowed to discuss the goddess' personal life. I had to probe for as much information as possible.

"Why isn't Aergia on good terms with her children?" I asked lightly, playing with the material of the bed sheets while watching Raven out of the corner of my eyes.

"They had a difference of opinion on how to rule the city," she answered. "Artemis led the so-called rebellion – she wanted to succeed Aergia as ruler of Sloth City. But as soon as she suggested the idea, all of her siblings demanded the same thing for themselves."

"So, she just ostracised all of them from the castle?"

Raven nodded in reply, but then stilled. She glanced over at me, and I could see the sudden concern in her eyes. "But please don't tell anyone I told you that, okay?"

I nodded in understanding, letting Raven know I had her full confidence. "Of course."

Raven breathed a sigh of relief. "Good. Thank you. Anyway, it's late. I have to get up early in the morning to go to the city market, so do you mind if I leave you for the night?"

Her mention of a market made me snap to attention. "The city market?" As in, outside the castle?

She nodded and stepped down from her ladder, unaware of my surprise.

My panic rose tenfold. If she was going to leave the castle, then there was no better time to go with her, right? My mapped-out future with Hades loomed ever closer, and this caused for alarm. I couldn't just sit here like a sitting duck.

Raven moved silently around the room, blowing out each candle in turn. Before I knew it, she was by the door, about to leave. The candlelight from the hallway behind her silhouetted her figure. An idea popped into my head.

"Hey, Raven?" I called out, trying to hide the alarm from my voice.

Raven froze in the doorframe and looked back over her shoulder at me.

"Yeah?"

I hesitated. "Could you please bring me a new outfit to wear for tomorrow's breakfast before you leave the castle?"

A confused look passed over her expression. "You don't like what I set out for you in your cupboard?"

I shrugged nonchalantly, trying to shake off the feeling of my betrayal. "The black outfits have been fine and all, but if Hades' Guard is almost here, I want to go out with a bang and wear some colour." Then, to top it all off – "Could you please bring me a new outfit before you leave tomorrow morning?"

Raven looked confused for a moment, and her eyes narrowed in on me. My insides froze but I plastered on an innocent smile, hoping she wouldn't catch on. After a moment, Raven's suspicion disappeared and she nodded, a sad smile on her face.

"I completely understand. I'll drop by before I leave with something else for you to wear."

She gave me one last lingering look of concern before she disappeared behind the door and closed it behind her. At the sound of the door shutting, my heart dropped. But my plan of escape was already in motion, and I knew that the more I kept Raven in the dark, the greater the chance Aergia wouldn't inflict a harsh punishment.

For my survival, at least, that's what I told myself.