Chapter 19: I'm broken!

"Lost with you, in you & without you."- K.Towne Jr.

Dexter POV

"Here, for you."

She handed me a cup of coffee. We were sitting at the table on the balcony outside her room.

"You can talk anytime when you are ready," she takes a sip of her drink, sending me a hint about her role, a listener.

"I never told anyone about this." I sighed while my mind recalled all the memories that started haunted me for the last few days.

"It happened a year back," I started playing with the cup in my hand.

"My whole family, my dad, my mom, my sister, and my brother-in-law died. It happened while they were attending the company's private event. Some gang which was our enemy attacked them during the event. They were killed with a gunshot. I lost all of them in one day." I said tried not to show too much emotion to her. I could sense her eyes fixed on me.

"It was a private event and how did they manage to enter the place?"

"My ex-girlfriend."

"What do you mean?"

"She was the spy of the gang. She was the one who leaked our family and gang information to our enemy. I trusted her and treated her as part of my family, we shared all the secrets together, included the secret of my family and my gang. In the end, she sold me out. She betrayed me. She killed my family." I gritted my teeth and balled my fists.

"Hey, calm down. Don't do that," I was shocked when she suddenly pulled my hand and loosens my fist as my knuckles were bandaged. I stared at how she loosens my fist and hold my hand avoiding me from hurting myself.

"Where is she now? Did you-?" I cut her off before she could finish her sentence as I knew what she wanted to ask.

"Yes! As you guess, I killed her. The moment I found out about her, I killed her and her entire family. She deserved it. I don't felt guilty at all."

"Is that the reason why you are overprotective over Andrea?"

"I will be alone if Andrea wasn't here today. She is my only family left. At the moment I lost them, I swore that I will do anything to protect her and make her happy but it wasn't easy." I turned my gaze on her and continue when she didn't say anything.

"She lost her parents when she was three years old. Even she was still small at that time but she knew something was wrong. She wasn't a happy kid like before, she had a lot of tantrums and she cried a lot. The worst part was when I got no choice but to bring her to the child psychiatrist to figure out her problem. It's getting better till now but she doesn't want to be close to any strangers until she saw you."

She furrowed her eyebrows, confused.

"What do you mean?"

"I was amused when I noticed she became a chatty girl the first time she saw you at the ice-cream shop. Even the maid in this mansion doesn't really talk to them but you were different. I was glad and when she told me that she wanted you to stay here with us, I had no choice but to force you to be her nanny." I blew out a heavy breath; it felt like a heavy stone that smashed on my chest was being lifted.

"What about the nightmare? What did you dream? Is that about your family?"

I nodded.

"All the bad memories keep haunted me again. It had been a long time I didn't dream about it and I'm not sure why it came back again." I turned my eyes to the view of the mansion.

"Maybe to remind me that I was broken," I confessed with a smirk tried to hide the feeling that hurting me, alive.

"So, that was the reason why you treated everyone around you coldly. You don't want to care because you worried that you might get hurt if you lost them." She stating out all the truth.

"Sort of," I said in a monotone.

"There must be something that we can do," she said giving me some hope.

"Nothing we can do, I was broken. Broken beyond repair."

"Listen, just because of something broken, we don't throw it away. We fix it." She moved her body closer and placed her hand on my chest near to my heart, indicating that it still can be fixed.

I stretched my hand and pulled her closer to me and made her stood beside me. I wrapped my hands on her waist with my face buried on her chest. I felt her hands wrapped my shoulder and patted my back. It was too comfortable and it made me calm, eventually.

At that moment, I heard my heart whispered.

'I am too broken to deserve you.'

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤