8| Devil's Spawn

I walked into class, my previous lesson— Geography— just ended, it required us leaving the class to the learning theatre. The class was rowdy when I entered, someone was sitting at my desk talking animatedly to Esse who sat at the desk next to Chris who in turn sat in front of mine.

I stop at my desk when Chris says something that makes the boy in my seat to laugh then he looks up at me still smiling "yes, do you want something?" He still had residual humor in his voice.

I felt Chris eyes on me. I was about to say something when Esse spoke up instead "Ode you're in her seat" and she laughed I could hear Chris try to stiffen his laughter. The boy in my seat had a look of realization on his face, his eyes wide and his mouth in an 'O' shape, I still had the blank look on my face when he jumped up like something stung his butt, he shoved his books into his sling bag and slung it across his chest.

He stepped out of my desk and made a mock bow before letting take my seat, I give him a suspicious look before taking my seat then I heard Esse laugh "Ifeanyi you're a clown, please go to your class o fourth period is about to start and you know how our evil English teacher acts"

Ifeanyi laughs and walks out of class after doing some kind of macho handshake with Chris and says they'll talk later. I let out a breath and dropped my bag that was currently on my lap on the desk. I look up to see Chris staring at me.

"You should loosen up a little Asy baby" he says with a sly smile on his face and I scowl at him making him laugh and this makes my heart flutter a little.

This little action petrifies me and I absent mindedly let my hand slide to my chest. Chris blinks at me with a scared looks on his face. "Asira are you okay?" He asks looking a little worried when Esse slaps his shoulder.

"You've scared the poor girl" she says scowling at him and I try to cover my embarrassment by clearing my throat.

"Ow! stop na, see she's fine" Chris fakes being hurt and Esse slaps his arm again making him laugh.

Jealousy pinches at my heart at the sight of them. Esse and Chris had always been really close, she was like Chris's best friend— that's if she isn't— there was even a time there was a rumor that they were actually dating but I had never got around confirming that so it only stayed a rumor to me.

They stop their little drama only when the class grows silent and that evil mistress of English walks in, she glares her small beady eyes through her wire framed glasses at us, the devil's spawn never smiled at us, she only carried— more like dragged— herself around the class looking for who to use as scape goat to her hatred.

Mrs Maggrette walks to the end of the class where the empty teacher's table and chair stood, it was meant for the subject teachers to sit at but most of them never sit down, they just walk in and start teaching but this bag of garri made it her soul aim to be comfortable at the desk before commencing her class.

"Bring out your notebooks" the mistress of evil says but their was something menacing to the way she said it, like she was about to derive joy from it but she never derived joy in teaching, she derived joy in inflicting pain instead.

Everyone in class was now staring at Kalu, that's when something clicked in my brain, we didn't have our books and fear encased every fiber of my being. I looked pitifully and partly horrified at Kalu, the class prefect, as he slowly rose to his feet, he shakily pushed his huge thick black framed spectacle up the bridge of his nose "Ma I— " before he could even finish his sentence Chris was already on his feet and speaking.

"I'm sorry ma, Kalu asked me to help him carry the books from your office but I forgot" this big bold idiot o, he just made the worst mistake of his life, nobody spoke when Mrs Maggrette hasn't asked them to, I made that mistake once and I painfully regretted it. Kalu was looking at Chris in horror, everyone was and he was doomed.