2| Pelumi

Griiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!

Finally!, I slam my pen on my desk, the siren signalling the end of a period wailed. I cannot take another moment in this boring biology class, as long as Mrs Lovelyn was teaching I was definitely bound to fall asleep.

I copied down the rest of the note Mrs Lovelyn had taken the last few minutes to write on the board. I shut my book and shoved it into my bag while the rest of my class were already acting like zoo animals let loose.

Half of the class wasn't here anymore, probably they were in whatever class their friends were in or they have taken advantage of the thirty minutes break to go to the canteen to buy food or snacks. The rest that were left here we're talking above one another.

I sighed, I was among the ten percent of students left that brought home made food to school. Who still brought food to school at SS2? Not many people. In SS2 you're mostly expected to act mature like the senior student you are, which meant you brought money for your lunch instead of home made food and you exerted your seniority on the junior students.

I brought my food flask from my bag, I already knew what I was about to eat because I had prepared it myself, something I have been doing since I was fourteen and my mother had decided she can't be cooking for two 'grown up' girls.

The smell of jellof rice and fried plantain waft into my nostrils and my mouth was already watering, I grab my spoon from my bag and prepared to dig in.

"Asiraaaaaaa!!!"
I let my hand slump on the desk and looked up at the approaching human being I called my best friend, Pelumi.

"Can't you ever let me eat in peace eh?" I ask her sizing her up and down once she was standing in front of me. She had her hand on her hip and was now gesturing animatedly, "So you want to eat without me abi?" She said pouting before plopping down at the desk beside mine, "I can't believe you want to eat without me, your best friend for that matter!" She feigned hurt.

I sighed and gave in to her, "I'll remain for you, wait" this long throat has money for lunch but she just wants to be a parasite. I shovel rice into my mouth and Pelumi snatches dodo from my flask.

"Abeg carry that your dirty hand from my food" I swat her hand away between midchew.

"Ewwww! Asira! Stop talking while eating, it's very irritating" my eyes snaps to the busybody Gbemisola that just planted herself at the desk in front of Pelumi, I glared at her before giving her a good sizing then returned to my food.

For someone that was born in Britain, Pelumi never acted like it, she could even speak Yoruba fluently. Gbemisola starts gossipping in rapid Yoruba, bringing her voice down, she spares glances at me like as if I was eavesdropping. I don't blame her sha, like as if I can even understand Yoruba.

Well I had attempted learning it in junior secondary school when Nigerian language was a compulsory subject to learn. My mother had insisted that I did Hausa but for the sake of my friendship with Pelumi I insisted on learning Yoruba so that I could communicate with her in a language my mother would not understand.

My mother has always been pesky about my friendship with Pelumi since the first time we became friends which was when she and her mother moved into the house next door. We owned the houses in the compound, my father is the landlord, one of his many achievements.

Pelumi and I were both five back then I was about to start Nursery two since in Nigeria you started school from the moment you could utter a word, overzealous parents.

My mother had tried to separate us in Jss1, her plan was to send me to a boarding school but it backfired. My mother seeing how lean I got from not eating well panicked then when she found out I had lice that just put the icing on the cake, she immediately withdrew me from the school after the term. I had my hair relaxed at the hairdresser's salon then shaved my hair off afterwards, she didn't want to take any risk according to her.

It was a source of humor to Pelumi, I was practically bald for the whole school break but by the time school was back in session and mum let me start the next term at the same school as Pelumi my hair had grown a little. My mother stopped trying to separate us after that and only made snarky remarks at everything Pelumi did.

I'm broken from my reverie by Pelumi's groan, I look at her. "Asira na! Do you want to finish the food?!" I frown and looked into the flask before me, half of the food was gone but I wasn't satisfied yet. I eyed the food longingly before pushing it to her and she snatched the spoon from my hand. I settled to filling the remaining space in my stomach with water.

Pelumi slams the flask on the desk and squeals so suddenly which startles me. I eye her for a moment before following her gaze to the window, I'm not surprised at who I see and I just roll my eyes as she scampers out of my class to meet him with Gbemisola trailing behind her.

Chris

A story for another day.

A/N

Hello everyone, I hope you enjoyed this chapter or at least liked it. Tell me what you think about Pelumi so far and whatever you think about the story in the comment section.

Don't forget to click the little star button and share this story to someone that will like to read or will be interested in it.

See you in the next chapter which will be up on Thursday! Have a great day!.