1| Nosy Neighbor

Pelumi was stretching her neck against the corner of the painted cement wall again and I was standing right behind her, Iya Tife was up to it again.

I was inside the house eating boiled yam and egg sauce when Pelumi barged into my father's house that evening like as if it were hers, her eyes were as wide as saucers and she was giggling to herself, "Asira! You're here eating, come and see what that woman is up to again" and she burst into fits of laughter again.

I looked at her suspiciously but dropped the yam I had in my hand, thinking twice about my decision to let go of my precious food. Sauced oil dripping from my fingers, I didn't have a chance to wash my hands when Pelumi dragged me to my feet and pulled me through the back of the house to the side of the building.

"Pelu-" I started but she shushed me and I kept quiet and licked the stew off my fingers. Pelumi waved me forward to come and see, she was grinning from ear to ear, I could see what was going on, Mama Tife had her ears pressed against the window of Gilbert's flat but what she didn't know was Gilbert was now standing right behind her.

'She is finished', I giggled to myself. Iya Tife and her snooping has finally caught up with her, this woman has probably been snooping because brother Gilbert has brought another girl over again and at this moment this so called girl was wearing brother Gilbert's shirt and she was now grabbing at Iya Tife's blouse.

'today na today',

I turn to Pelumi who was trying to stiffing her laughter and I couldn't help but burst out laughing too. The screams of two crazy females etched wide across the entire compound, they were now shouting insults at each other.

Pelumi ran from behind our safe haven into the open to watch and I followed after her.

"You dey craze!", The lady was now trying to grab at Iya Tife as bare chested brother Gilbert jumped between them to push the two females apart.

"Ashawo!" Iya Tife clapped her hands in the mocking pattern typical Nigerian females did, "Ashawoooooooo!" She shouted again and clapped not paying attention to the fact that her wrapper had loosened and was now sliding down her waist as the other lady grabbed at her again.

Pelumi had stopped laughing but a stupid knowing grin was now plastered on her face as she held unto my arm. Iya Tife has succeeded in embarrassing herself, I shake my head and mentally give myself a facepalm.

Brother Gilbert had succeeded in pulling them apart and was now dragging his girl into his house, Iya Tife on the other hand bundled her wrapper and was now stomping in our direction towards her house. Iya Tife's eyes finally found us and she gives us this dirty look before sizing us up and down before kissing her teeth and stomping past us to her house.

Pelumi cackled and pulled me back to my father's house, again, like she had every right to but I silently let her. "Abegi! Forget that woman" she scans the room then allows her eyes to linger on my plate for a minute or two before declaring that she was hungry and I should get her food.

I was getting tired of her bossing me around like I was her house help but I didn't say anything, I just let her slide into my chair at the dining table and devour my food while I dished a plate specially for her.

A/N
Hello, so here's the first chapter and I hope you like it and it was good enough for a first try. Thank you for taking your time to read and I hope you enjoy it if you're patient enough to follow the story.

For those that don't understand some of the expression here's what they mean;
Ashawo: Prostitute, slut or whore
You dey craze: you're mad
Today na today: Today is today (an expression used when a fight or something dramatic is taking place)

This chapter was pretty short but I hope the next one's better.

Comment what your thoughts are on the story and please click the star button, don't forget to share this story to your friends or someone that you think would like it.

Next chapter coming up!