Chapter 18

As Maude had said to me when I asked her, at the beginning of my training, how she isn't ever tired she told me, 'There ain't no rest for the wicked darling.' And I think she may be right. All morning I've been at her side as she ordered servants to help guests with luggage and maids to clean or fix up a room or chefs to cook. While I follow her around, I curse that assassin for sneaking in here and costing me and Sebastian sleep.

It has been too busy for me to even break away from the elder lady to see how he is or tell him what I overheard... I just hope that Sebastian is okay, I also hope they get whatever information they need from the assassin.

Since the early afternoon Maude and me have been greeting noble people, guests for the ball. Barons, Baronesses, Dukes and Duchesses, even Lords and Ladies from everywhere it seems like. Places I haven't heard of. I have counted 35 couples coming to stay here and I was told that there are only a few yet expected to arrive before the ball tonight. All couples and no single women... It seems odd but I am glad to not have seen any other women at all. Sebastian does need a Queen though if he wants to rule a strong kingdom; as I heard some of the servants whisper to each other. When will he start courting or has he started? Maybe he hasn't found someone eligible yet...

"Lady Tollund. Welcome." Maude says from my side bowing her head. I do the same but I keep my gaze on her.

I spoke too soon. The young woman named Lady Tollund strides in with her head held high, slim nose pointed to the air above her. How does she not trip without looking? Her servants follow behind, stumbling to keep up as they carry the large luggage which I'm guessing is all hers. Maude snaps her fingers, ordering our servants to help with the bags.

"Thank you Maude. It's nice to be back here after so long. Is my fiancé in his study since he didn't greet me at the door?"

"Yes My Lady, my apologies for his absence. He's been awfully busy lately since last night."

Fiancé? What does that mean?

While Lady Tollund uses a small mirror to fix her lipstick, I lean over to Maude and ask her what 'fiancé' means.

She clears her throat giving me a side glance. "They are to be married and she'll become the future queen of Adelaide."

What? Her apologetic smile makes me blink back at the young woman standing before us. That old codger knew, that's why she told me to back off from Sebastian. White blinding anger starts to boil from my stomach to my chest. Her? He has been engaged this whole time, all the while flirting with me and letting me touch him this morning, to her. For a moment I think sharp, feline claws are forming in my clenched fists.

When she's finished, Lady Tollund puts up a fine polished hand over her mouth, the left one and I see the ring. The white and red gems glinting in the afternoon sun and I wonder where Seb's is. "Oh dear! What happened now? Is he okay?" She asks with a loud gasp.

"It is not my place to tell you." Maude says sternly while tilting her head to the side with her eyes down. "All is well though."

Lady Tollund's mouth forms a hard line. "I'll go straight to his study then." But she turns to me and lifts a thin brow. "I haven't seen you before, you must be new."

Maude glances between me and Lady Tollund as I cross my arms and she clears her throat. "Yes she is. This is Raven."

She nudges me in the side after a moment of silence so I bow my head. "Welcome Lady Tollund."

"Charmed." She says with a too wide of a smile. Well I'm not charmed. Her teeth are perfectly straight and too white. Not like a normal human's... Seb's teeth aren't even that white or straight.