Chapter 27 - King of the Casino

The instant the elevator doors parted, the air was filled with a rush of music and noise as if they'd opened into another world. Taken at face value, it was almost enough to knock a person down.

Whoa, the casino people. He'd forgotten how chaotic it could be.

Stepping forward slowly with Buddy at his hip, Mario tried to size it all up at once: the basement opened into a huge, high-ceilinged warehouse of some kind, with stone walls and floors that gleamed like polished granite. It was large enough to have been an extra floor for the hotel, but if it ever had been, it appeared to have been transformed into a party central for betting and entertainment, as if they'd walked into a miniature Vegas. Mario had never been there, but he imagined it was something of the kind. It was shockingly chilly, and dozens of rather boisterous voices mingled with a loud, upbeat parlor music that blared overhead and threatened to shake the walls. Overall, he was surprised by how normal it felt. It all seemed a far cry from the quiet and troublesome hotel above.

   Leading from the elevator's entrance where he found himself standing, a roped-off red carpet spread out before him up to where a uniformed orange pianta man stood keeping a sharp eye on the floor beyond. No one under twenty-one...

   For a brief second Mario froze, remembering Buddy. Then he glanced down and laughed. That rule didn't apply to yoshis!

Knowing he would need to speak to someone in authority, Mario headed for the pianta. It might have been the only decent interaction he would catch before stepping into the colorful sprawl, anyway. Walking up to him, Mario saw that he was definitely the bellhop he'd been promised, wearing a name tag pinned to his shirt that read Leonardo. On seeing Mario's entrance, he did a double take and seemed to come to life.

   "Ah, Mario? Thank goodness they finally sent someone," he greeted, rushing over. "We've been in the dark for quite a while... Metaphorically, that is."

   The human crossed his arms and appeared to turn all business. He was here to work, after all... "No problem. What exactly have you seen?"

   "Well, it's like I told the manager on the phone," Leo began. "We had the power go on and off a few times, and then the elevator stopped working. Once everything got back up to code, we started picking up noises from what seemed like behind the walls."

   Mario frowned and nodded. "What kind of noises?"

   "It's really hard to describe," the pianta said, lowering his voice as if anyone could hear them. "Almost like a... weird cackling or something. And beeping. We also thought we could hear some kind of machinery or... creepy music or something. Not from one of our games. Some of the customers heard it too, but we had to tell them it wasn't on our premises. We were trapped in here, we didn't know what else to do."

   "But did it sound... haunted?" Mario wanted to know.

   "I'm not terribly familiar with that sound, but I'd say it could pass," Leo offered. "It almost felt like it could have been coming from under the floor. Which is crazy, because it doesn't go any further than this. I honestly have no idea what could be making it. Can't be the plumbing or electricity."

   "Are you still hearing it?"

   "Oh yeah. Every few minutes, I think. Just hold tight."

   Mario pursed his lips. "Alright. I'll see what's up," he said, letting Buddy shove his head under his arm.

   "Yes, very good... Mr. Romano said you have free run of the place. If there's anything you need, just let me or one of the other bellhops know. Right this way, please," Leo gestured, unhooking the ropes for his entry. "Settle in and make yourself at home, okay? Normally I'd tell you to enjoy yourself, but I don't suppose that's why you came."