Chapter 24 - The Plumber and the Haunted Hotel

"Alright," Mr. Romano rubbed his hands together anxiously, standing in a commanding way before the hotel doors as he gazed over the open lobby. "Time to get to work.

"So this is the hotel, as you can see," he went on, as if the small human standing nearby needed to be told. "You can feel free to look around anywhere you need — maintenance, guest rooms, whatever. I just need every last nook and cranny ghost and goop-free. ...Anyway, I'd better stay here and get this place in order. I'll be here if you need anything." Clearing his throat, he made sure the front doors were closed behind him. "At this rate, I'll never get back home..."

At his elbow, the human glanced up at him briefly for a double take. Oh. Oh. Of course Mr. Romano wasn't actually going to accompany him — that would be far too much to ask.

"Uh... so what is it exactly that you want me to do?" he asked.

"Huh? Oh, you know, investigate. Get rid of the ghost problem. Fix our haunted issue?"

The boy raised his eyebrows in amazement and shook his head. "And where exactly are those problems??"

He spread his arms dramatically as if the boy was blind. "Everywhere! I told you, this place is just not right. I can't let the new guests in. Can't you do something? Please, Mario!" the manager almost begged. "You'll see soon enough. I just can't have the guests getting the wrong idea!"

   The boy furrowed his eyebrows. "I can look around," he said. "But I don't know what I'm looking for." To himself, he thought smugly, Shine sprites, of course. This had turned out quite perfectly — now he could have free run of the hotel, and no one could argue with his business either.

   "Oh yes! Thank you!!" Mr. Romano breathed in pathetic relief. "You can ask the staff I have around about what they've seen. Don't miss anything!"

   Managers. Masking a snort, Mario stepped forward now to observe the room more closely, rendering the conversation over.

   At first glance the lobby looked quiet enough. That wasn't to say it wasn't quite a sight: In a truly unprecedented fashion (or so Mr. Romano had liked to believe) they were the only hotel in the southern sea to have a ground floor composed mostly of indoor ponds — a large portion of the floor around the front door was sunken about a foot below, and was kept perpetually full of standing water to give a true tropical vibe. It certainly was exotic — as long as one didn't mind the lack of railings.

Never a problem for me, Mario thought.

Small lit braziers that looked like coconut husks stood on pillars by the water, providing a further wild atmosphere. The white walls and floors were adorned with subtle tiles of a similar feel, and reaching out from each wall wide pathways of wooden planks converged at a large totem pole at the center of the lobby, making the appearance of an indoor jungle boardwalk. Thatched shades over the windows kept the lighting dim and peaceful, as did the grass covers over the reception desk and breakfast counter on either side. Past the dining area with the wooden tables and the bathrooms beyond them, the enormous staircase leading around a corner upward was the only thing that looked relatively normal.

Mama mia, he realized, momentarily excited. If this is the lobby, what are the rooms like??

Coming to stop before the large totem pole in the center, Mario gazed upwards and put his hands on his hips. It was elaborately carved like an ancient tiki torch, reaching upwards through a square-shaped hole in the ceiling until it passed out of sight.

"Nice," he commented, accidentally speaking out loud. "Wonder how high it goes?"

"All the way up to the third floor," came the answer. Turning, Mario found the owner of the voice to be a pianta janitor nearby, coming over from the dining area with large broomstick in tow.