Chapter 17 - Koopas on Pinna Island

Several things hit Mario's ears when he emerged once again into the busy plaza of the Pinna Island Amusement Park. The same old regular hum of business; the screams of delighted children, the buzz of talking guests as they milled about beneath whirling rides; but almost right away Mario knew that there was something else.

   Something else wrong.

"Ah, Mr. Hero! Good!" Mr. Peppers' breathless voice greeted him almost instantly as Mario stepped from beneath the awning, this time with a slight urgency which was surprising. Had something actually, really gone wrong, then?

   "I hoped you were still here," the older noki panted, sliding to a stop beside the young man. "I've got a bit of a predicament I thought you might just be able to solve with that water pack of yours... I mean Jet," he added quickly.

   Mario crossed his arms and tried not to smile. "I'm listening..."

   "You don't have the girl anymore?" Mr. Peppers asked, glancing around for the pianta. "I do hope you left her safe. You see... there's a couple of electrokoopas just outside the park." He lowered his voice at the end, as if he didn't want anyone else hearing.

   "On the beach?" Mario asked, glancing over to the front gates only a stone's throw away.

   "Oh no, on the back perimeter," the noki corrected. "Behind the wall. And, you see, there's a small area near the wave pool that has only a small gate separating it off from the ocean. I fear the koopas might come in that way."

Mario nodded, briefly scanning the far edge as he indicated. "How many?"

"I only saw a couple lingering back there," the park director replied. "Guests aren't allowed behind the fence, but I hoped you might scare them off before they think they own the place."

Guests aren't allowed behind the fence, Mario thought, almost grinning at the words as he remembered his successful break over the wall. Good thing I was never really a guest. "Alright, I'll go take a look," he said, wondering what Fludd might say. He'd have to be seriously careful about getting stung again.

"Wonderful, I knew you would, Mr. Hero!" Mr. Peppers exclaimed. "And say, when you're done, how would you like to try the Southern Star, the Ferris wheel? It's a delightful romp," he offered, all cheer and confidence once again. Even Mario found his vibe a little hard to match.

   The human furrowed an eyebrow and glanced up behind them at the structure now in question, falling silent for a moment in thought. Huh. Was it just his imagination, or...

   "Mr. Peppers, isn't it going awfully fast?"

   The two paused and stared up now at the spinning ride far above, from which numerous screams could be heard tossing in the wind. Blue blades, like the petals of a giant pinwheel, whirled through the air at a somewhat eye-catching rate. At least, Mario didn't think Ferris wheels were supposed to do that. The old noki looked thoughtful.

   "Hm, well, yes, it does seem to be spinning rather excessively. Perhaps you should talk to the ride operator while you're back by the entrance."

   Mario nodded skeptically, giving one last questioning glance over the ride. It just didn't seem quite right... but then, everything was a bit different on Isle Delfino. He supposed that extended to Pinna Park as well.

~

"Well, I suppose I'll keep a watch on your back," Fludd spoke up as soon as they had ventured closer to the park perimeter. Coming away from the loudest part of the hustle and bustle, back near the small wave pool where the big showdown had occurred, Mario nodded.