Author's Note

Dear readers,

Well—here we are, vacation at last!

If you made it all the way here, you're a real trooper; and if you actually read this whole thing, I think you deserve an award (Not even I would have the patience for that! XD)

This was not the first full novel I'd written, but it was definitely the longest so far—after four and a half years of writing, playing, and re-editing, our Delfinian adventure draws to a close. Thank you for coming along, and I sincerely hope you had some good times!

In all honesty, I'm not even sure why I started writing this book in the first place. It's inspiration's heavily-action-oriented gameplay doesn't exactly lend itself immediately to 'novel material', but here it is. I just knew I had to finish it once it was begun ;)

Super Mario Sunshine is obviously based off the Nintendo GameCube game of the same name. It was also released for the Nintendo Switch much, MUCH later (if you have the means, give it a try)! Isle Delfino is one of my favorite places on the (not) planet, and the atmosphere is one of the most immersive I've ever seen. The game has always held a special place in my heart, and you won't regret taking a trip there!

As for the book itself, I put a lot of research (and playtime) into writing the world of Delfino into a more coherent written story, from studying artwork and text files to taking pictures of my TV screen. (Oh yes, you thought I was kidding.) I wanted to bring the game to life for those who have (and haven't) played it, which took careful representation as well as creative liberties—sometimes the accuracy went right down to the characters' lines. For those of you who spend a lot of time studying games, I also included some beta elements that were scrapped from the final game for a fuller experience. (Nico, and the Delfino Express, just to name a couple, are not my creations!)

Although I love Sunshine and all of its crazy scenarios, compiling it into a singular narrative that made sense was a little bit challenging for me. Yes, there's a basic plot line, but what's the gist of the story? What does Mario learn, how does he grow? I wanted to challenge him in some way as well—by making him search for justice or truth, without necessarily using his fists. I don't know how well I did that in the end. That's the most difficult part about adapting games XD

I also wanted to present the series' introduction to Bowser Jr. in a way that was fitting and made sense for the franchise as a whole, without forcing my own interpretation on him. I don't know who his mother is; does anyone??

On that note, I would also like to apologize for the laziness in writing and editing in some places. This was a very long process, so it goes without saying that some chapters are not created equal! Unfortunately I do not have a final word count, but I would guess that it's probably upwards of 300,000.

My favorite chapter, final ones aside, might honestly be either Hero on Trial, King of the Casino, or anything with Nico ;) Sirena Beach is my favorite place on the island, by the way...

One last thing worth noting: while I was in the process of writing this book, I happened to discover that there is a real Hotel Delfino in Venice, Italy. Although I unfortunately had to cancel my trip, at one point in time I can proudly say that I actually had a reservation at a Hotel Delfino :D

If you enjoyed the story, or if you're just a crazy Super Mario fan like myself, I invite you to check out my other works! Nintendo fanfiction is my forte, so don't feel afraid to read the other stuff that I've already completed. I love your feedback (and also, feel free to point out my typos and offer tips. I'm counting on you)!

Lastly, never let it be said that I finish without a bang! Here are some tunes that influenced the book in one way or another, some more obvious than others. They're a bit sappy, but what can I say?? The last one here is the original American TV commercial for the game, the goofy song from which I included in the book's ending. Gotta love it XD

So, the darkness is banished and the light has returned... but the trouble is only beginning ;)

Have a relaxing vacation!

~NintendoJedi

~

And about the author...

Daisy, otherwise known as NintendoJedi, is a goofy grammar freak and Nintendo nerd who also has an affinity for art. She is usually found drawing, playing Mario Strikers, or working on yet another fan fiction novel. Shoot her a message anytime for feedback, questions or just to yap about video games!