Chapter 19 - Sand and Sky

The rhythmic sounds of the distant surf did little to calm the atmosphere in Delfino Plaza late that afternoon.

It wasn't that anything bad was currently going down. In fact, it seemed quite peaceful. But so much had happened in the past twenty four hours that it was hard now to appreciate the ambience.

Toadsworth kept an even gaze on all of his surroundings, moving his knobby cane along before him as he strolled aimlessly down a side street near Delfino Town Hall. Around him, all up and down the street, the rest of the toadstools meandered like lost puppies in a similar manner, gazing into storefronts and trying to conceal their worry.

Such had been the state of things for what felt like hours — and it was probably nearing it at this point. Such had been the state of things since their human counterparts had left with a bang and the thief had last shown his ugly face...

Or — no, not exactly ugly. Toadsworth doubted the boy would approve of calling the doppelgänger so.

Nevertheless, it was the doppelgänger who had caused all their current worries — and stolen Princess Peach.

It wasn't that Toadsworth had no faith. It was just that he was becoming more and more aware of all this wasted time.

Pausing for no particular reason outside the window of an electronics shop, the older toadstool glanced in at a small running TV set. Just a local newscast or something. Time passing, things happening... With a sigh, he turned as if to implore the cloudy sky. Oh, where is our beloved princess??

   She worked so hard on the throne. She rarely had chances to get out and do things. Toadsworth was ever beside himself with her safety, even at home.

This had been her long-deserved getaway. Just a couple of weeks... They had planned it all out so well. Then —

   How had all of this happened?

A look-alike in blue... an arrest and a trial... a gigantic mess!

Just their luck — and yet, how could he have not suspected? Trouble like this always followed her highness around, in some form at least. He supposed they should've known better than to think they could really make a clean getaway.

Stopping for a second, he chuckled bitterly. A clean getaway... far from it!

   Toadsworth might not have been so concerned at the present if he knew the kidnapper's intentions. It was never good; but there was always a small consolation when it was Bowser. The princess' rival monarch wouldn't dare to hurt her; for that, at least, the older toadstool could always be grateful. But there was no assurance of that now.

   Where on earth was —?

As if reading his thoughts, Freddy suddenly appeared at his side. "How're you holding up?" he asked quietly.

   Turning to the blue toadstool in mild impatience, Toadsworth shook his head with a grunt. "As well as I can — as well as I can!"

   Freddy made a face and turned to the window of the store beside them. What was he supposed to say?

   "I don't want to call police," Toadsworth went on, more to himself. "They're really the last people who need to get involved!"

   Freddy, now staring into the shop with attentive interest, didn't immediately reply.

   "Though it's not like I believe they're busy," the older toadstool said. "What else could possibly be happening on the island anyway?"

   "Uhh... maybe that," Freddy said, pointing to the glass he stared into.