「e i g h t : "They might be wearing invisibility cloaks for all we know!" 」

The bell rang and everyone hurried to pack their bags and escape out of the class to eat. Katie kept her notebook inside and zipped the bag, slinging it on one shoulder. She and Julian shared the class, so she waited for him at the door, and then they started walking together.

"So," Julian started, "they are almost a thing, huh?"

"Rose and Andrew?" she asked and he nodded. "I guess so," she shrugged. She looked outside the corridor window, holding the strap of her bag. "When did you find out?"

"When he was talking to her on the phone one day," he replied. "We had met at The Nook and he was talking to her the whole time, unaware I was with him." Katie laughed at this. "His ice cream melted, too."

"Damn. They're not subtle, are they?" Katie asked rhetorically. "The only ones in our group who probably don't know are River and Mark."

Julian nodded. "Yep. They're not as perceptive as they look."

Katie snorted. "Please, have you looked at River? His face literally looks like he doesn't know what's going on. And he doesn't."

Julian gave a booming laugh. "True that. Mark isn't as perceptive, then. He's just maths-smart."

They took the turn to enter the cafeteria and were greeted by some classmates. Katie only nodded in response to his earlier statement. The cafeteria was chaotic. Students were shuffling in a rush, sitting in their usual cliques.

Katie was tapped on the shoulder and she turned around and saw Mark. She dipped her head as a way of greeting. He smiled at her in return. Instinctively, the three made their way to their usual table where the twins were already sitting. They were talking about something and River was using his hands to create large gestures, probably to emphasise something. Rose gave a small laugh at something he said.

As the three approached their table, Rose and River looked up and smiled. They sat and took out their lunches, waiting for Lillian and Andrew to come. They had an unwritten rule: they didn't start eating before everyone had gathered. Katie sat opposite the twins and Mark and Julian took places on either side of her.

"Andy and Lilly not here yet?" River questioned.

"Do you see them here?" Katie muttered. When did he even start calling them Andy and Lilly?

His eyes widened. "I can't say; they might be wearing invisibility cloaks for all we know!"

Katie made a face at him and rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

"Ignore him," Mark nudged her from the side, grinning at her.

She looked up at him. "Oh I try to, but he's like an annoying pain in the ass that won't go, ever."