Fifty Five~ Special

Kris

Even though New Years Eve is the prime time for someone my age to go out and be social and party the night away, I find myself packing my bags to take my girlfriend and her niece to Disney world tomorrow. As a athlete I could go anywhere in this world, I can spend weeks some place nice far away from anyone. But instead I insisted on taking my girls to the one place they always wanted to go.

I myself haven't been to Disney World, only Disney Land since I lived out by Cali and went to school there. But I was just as excited to go to Disney World and Universal and all the cool things they have there.

And like usual I waited until the last minute to pack my bags and I start to get anxiety that I was forgetting something. We were flying so I really wanted to make sure I had everything that will keep me comfortable even though there is nothing I hated more than flying. Plus there was a few surprises I had up my sleeve for the girls and I had to make sure I had everything set, but not put it where they can find it.

All of the sudden I hear squealing and I stop. It had been pretty quiet all morning but something tells me that now is where the fun is starting. So I leave my unfinished bag and go out to the living room. I see Jenna putting something on Jennas head and I get confused.

"What's going on" I wonder as I walk over to them.

Mary turns around and she shows off her new Disney ears. But these weren't any Disney ears, these were Chicago Cubs ones with a big bow and a baseball in the middle.

The little girl pops up and runs over to me before launching herself into my arms. I easily catch her as her infectious giggles fill the room quickly. "What did you get stinker" I tease as I set her on my hip.

"Auntie Jen bought me baseball Mickey ears" she cheers with so much excitement. While I haven't packed yet this little one has had outfits set out since the day she found out.

"They look adorable just like you" I smile big.

"I love them so much! I'm going to wear them the entire trip" she insists.

I set her down and she thanks her aunt before taking her phone to take pictures. The kid is a natural in front of a camera and I don't doubt she will be famous one day. With her spunk and adorable curls it takes a strong person not to fall to their knees when they're around her. I pray for the man she falls in love with because he will be a lot like me where I find myself thanking a god I don't necessarily believe in for blessing me with a beautiful family.

"She was kind of excited" I tease making Jenna laugh.

"Kinda" she shakes her head. "I had to ask about ten different people to make those for her. For all the trouble it put me through I sure hope she was excited" she insists.

"I haven't seen her that happy since a few days ago when we told her she was going to Disney" I joke.

"It doesn't take a lot to make that little girl happy and I want to keep it that way. That means that when things like this happen she appreciates it more. She doesn't expect the world from us and she doesn't expect the world to be kind. She knows life is hard, but those hardships are what make it worth it. If we went on this trip when it was her and me and we only went because we thought we wanted to it wouldn't be so special. There's no baseball Disney ears or father-daughter time or birthday celebrations.

But this means the world to her because this is something she wanted and for the longest time which she didn't think she would ever be able to do. This is special because she has a pair of Disney ears made especially for her to wear to show off her favorite baseball team and her favorite player. She's excited but only because this is her dream and it's finally coming true" Jenna explains.

"I know you won't admit it, but you're a amazing mother figure. Not just a fun aunt but a mom who wants more for her kid. Who knows that the only reason you're here is because of what happened and no matter how hard you still made it" I insist.

"Life works in mysterious ways, this I know for sure. I might not get it but I know there's a purpose I don't yet understand. That I might never understand. But looking at her and you... I honestly wouldn't change a damn thing" she smirks.

I pull her into a kiss and she pulls me into her too. I try my hardest to remember this moment because it's times like this I didn't want things to change. I didn't want to be a baseball player or anything like that. I wanted to be a good boyfriend and a good dad and because of them I have a chance at that.

Eventually Jenna sends me to my room to finish packing. She was a lot more organized than myself and is actually very proactive. She might be a little scattered but she always get things done quickly and efficiently. I was the one who needed extra motivation to get shit done.

She joins me as I finish packing. My carry on was a lot of ways for me to fall asleep on the plane because I hated flying. I scheduled us early tomorrow morning knowing a lot of people will be heading home after celebrating the New Years later on. Plus Jenna would be there which always helps me calm down.

"So are you ready to take on Disney World" she wonders as she sits on the edge of my bed next to my suitcase. I zip it up and make sure it didn't weight all too much.

"As ready as I will ever be" she sighs.

"Are you nervous" I wonder. This was her first actual vacation after all. She doesn't like big crowds so I know this will be a bit over stimulating for her at times.

"No, not really. I mean my anxiety will be there whether I realize it now or later. But I'm hoping my childhood dreams coming true will over compensate for that" she admits.