Six~ Southern Comfort

Kris

I wake up this morning more giddy to start my day than I usually am. I knew today I was going on a date with Jenna and I couldn't be more excited. I don't even think I was this excited for my debut for the Cubs because that was mostly nerves and thoughts along the lines of "I can't believe this is actually happening". But I've been trying to get this day to happen for almost three weeks now, and it's finally here.

So I decide to take a shower and get a hair cut so I look fresh for tonight. I pick out my best outfit I had with me before pulling it on. Once I make sure my cologne was noticeable but not suffocating I head on over to her place. We weren't going anywhere for a little while but I wanted to hang out with her and Mary for a bit. Get to know them better and all. So she lets me in and I make myself comfortable on the couch as she finishes getting ready. Mary comes up to me as she stares at me with those big doll eyes. I swear this little girl could get away with murder.

"Auntie Jenny says you play baseball for a living" Mary starts just getting right into it. She sits next to me on the couch before turning to me.

"I do" I state proudly.

"How do I get to play for a living" she wonders making me laugh.

"If you do what you love, with who you love, you'll never work a day in your life. Every day would be play day" I tell her as her eyes light up.

"That's awesome. When I grow up I want to be just like you" she claims.

"I don't think that's what you really want. Because the best thing you could possibly be is yourself. I'm already me, the world needs you to be you" I insist.

"Oh, okay. But I still want to play for a living" she insists.

"Whatever you want kiddo" I assure her.

I continue to hang out with Mary and let Jenna finish getting ready in peace. This was a one bedroom apartment so I'm sure this is rare time where she doesn't have her niece following her around. She really didn't have to try to look good for this date, I've never seen her look bad a bad in my life,  but she insists she doesn't get out all that much so she wanted to take her time in getting ready. And that's okay because I got to get to know Mary and learn more about this life they have here. It's nothing too crazy but it's full of laughs and love and that's all you can really ask for.

In the 20 minutes I sat there and talked to the kid I learned that Mary has the same birthday as me and all she wants from life is to go to Disney world. her favorite Disney Princess was Ariel just like her aunt and she has a flounder stuffed animal that she sleeps with. Her favorite color is green today but yesterday it was blue. Sometimes I wish I was a kid again so things were that simple. Her favorite animal is a elephant and she loves to sing. There wasn't much the kid didn't tell me in the little bit less than a half hour we sat there and talked, but I loved every second of it.

"I really like you" Mary claims and I smile big. I know the opinion of a four year old I've known for a few days shouldn't matter but it does. Kids are the greatest judges of characters and I was hoping she liked me.

"What do you like about me" I wonder.

"You look like Prince Charming" she claims and I smile.

"Well thank you" I admit.

"Are you going to make my aunt a princess" she asks me.

I just smile because if it was that simple I would have made her my princess long before now. "I'm trying kiddo" I assure her.

"I know she's not perfect, she doesn't always buy the chicken nuggets in the shape of the dinosaur and sometimes she forgets me at day care. But she's trying really hard and I really want her to be happy. Can you make her happy" she asks. Kids always asking the hard hitting questions.