Thirty Seven~ Wild Card

Kris

It finally comes time for the wildcard game so me and the boys hang in the clubhouse getting dressed and stretched out while Joe goes over the game plan. Then again you don't really need a game plan with Jake on the mound. You get him at least a run or two and he will take care of the rest. If we all do what we're supposed to we can easily win this game. They might have a better record but I wholly believe we have a better team right now. In the end no one remembers the team that was better in regular season, just the one who prevails in the post season. And as a rookie being able to play in the post season is a honor. I have a chance to make a really memorable season if I can win rookie of the year and do some damage in the playoffs. I literally waited my whole life for this and it's finally here.

Sadly Jenna and Mary has to stay back in Chicago. Jenna promised to help out Connie since she was super busy and Mary wouldn't leave Jenna over night. Not even for me. With her aunt is where she feels safest and I couldn't say much, I felt the same way. But they would be able to meet up with me in St. Louis should we win here tonight.

I had a pretty good feeling about our chances.

"Hey rookie" Anthony teases as he sits in his stall next to mine. No matter where we go he's right next to me and I am so thankful he is. He might be a hot mess but he's the wisest man I know, had a heart of gold.

"What's up not a rookie" I joke back.

"Just trying to get as ready as I can. I've played a lot of baseball in my years in the league but none of it was post season baseball. I can actually feel the pressure of this game" he explains.

"How do you think Jake feels" I tease.

"I think he feels like a lion. He's over there doing his push ups right now listening to Seven Nation Army drinking a protein shake" he chuckles.

I turn around and low and behold our fearless leader is grinding in front of his locker as everyone else was getting dressed. I swear that man was a different animal.

"How have you been? I know you're bummed that Jenna and Mary couldn't make it" he admits.

I let out a soft sigh as my eyes fall to the ground. I start to fiddle with my fingers in my lap as I try to find my words. I know I could tell Anthony what I was feeling and he wouldn't judge me. He might not be in a relationship but he still understands what I'm going through from that aspect, but he knows what it's like to miss someone. He knows what it's like to feel the weight of the world on his shoulders and not know if you're strong enough."I'm fine I guess. I'm lucky to be here as a rookie with a chance to make some history. My first season here gets to go at least a few days longer than others so I feel blessed. I just..." I trail off.

"You miss her" he notices. "I might not be in love but I know a man who is when I see  him. There's nothing wrong with being in love" he assures me.

"I know. I'm just not used to feeling this away about someone. I've never felt so strongly about a person and I don't want to do anything without her by her side. I know if I just win this game I'll see her again in St. Louis, waiting is the hard part" I insist.

"Not winning this wildcard game" he teases as I scoff.

"The best pitcher in the world is over there trying to move the ground. I think we're going to be fine" I defend.

"I think you're right" he smiles. "But just take it a moment at a time. Lets win this game and then lets get you to your girl."

So we take the field with almost as much ferocity as our fearless leader Jake Arrieta. But I promise you that man is cut from a different cloth. And no one was going to deny him tonight, they haven't been able to crack him since the allstar break. In fact not only does he pitch like his life depended on it, but he tried to fight the entire Pirates team on the way to first after they plucked him. But honestly that was the closest they got to hitting him because he pitched eight innings not allowing a single run. I myself had my first ever post season hit and I got to watch Schwarbs send a baseball into the river behind the stadium. Honestly it was a great first game and I couldn't complain about it. Of course I would have loved to have played in Chicago but the Cubs fans travel well and I felt pretty comfortable playing here.

I go back to my stall and sit down ready to face the media after the game. Soon enough I'm surrounded by people trying to see what's going through my brain.

"So Kris, how is your first year in the bigs shaping up" they wonder and I smile.

"It's been pretty great. Since the first day I've been in Chicago I've seemed to have the best of luck. This team is perfect for me and they have helped me grow not only as a person and as a player. I got to experience a lot as a rookie so the years after this shouldn't be too hard. There's always room for improvement personally but from a team stand point I couldnt ask for more" I insist.

"What are you looking forward to with the series with St. Louis" they question.

"Honestly seeing my girlfriend and her niece again" I admit. "But baseball wise I know it'll be a intense series. I don't have to be around this team for long to know the history and they hatred these two teams have for each other. This is the first post season meeting between the teams so I know it's going to be a lot of fun. I can't wait to be at the plate with a lot on the line and to be a part of this history."

"Well we will let you go and get ready for your flight over to St. Louis" they say and I smile.

For the first time ever I'm excited to be there.