Two~ The Weight Of Burdens

Kris

My first game in the majors was nothing to be hyped about. I was 0 for 4 and struck out three times at the plate. Defensively I was good but that's not what I'm known for, I was a highly ranked rookie because of my batting abilities that simply wasn't showcased in my debut. Maybe it was because I was all flustered that morning but I did not play well. Luckily the second day I did much better and was feeling more like myself. I got a hit and was comfortable at the plate. It was going to take a little bit of time but soon enough I'll be a every day major league player before I know it.

As for today I decide to go back to the cafe and try to flirt with a certain waitress. I've been in here for three straight days trying to catch her eye and I'm hoping I was wearing on her a little. Yesterday I even came here twice trying to talk her up and get to know her. I walk into Connies Cafe this fine morning and find Jenna sitting at the back with Joe and his wife Maggie in the corner where they were every day. They just talked as they enjoyed each other's company.

"Miss Jenna! You got a customer" Joe yells even though she was sitting right next to him. I laugh as she playfully covers her ears.

"Lord have mercy Joe, I'm sitting right here" she exclaims as she stands up.

"Try living with him" his wife muttered as I laugh.

Jenna walks over to me and gives me that pearly white smile. "You again" she starts and I nod.

"Me again" I assure her.

"Same spot" she asks.

"Yes please" I nod.

So I go over to the booth I have sat in every time I'm here and she places the menu in front of me. "Don't worry, Mario is here again today so you can get your fixin'" she assures me.

"I thought you did a pretty good job" I compliment. Her smile grows a little before she adverts her eyes to her notepad.

"So what can we get you today" she wonders.

I look over the menu before making my decision. "A happy family with bacon, scrambled eggs and a coffee" I order and she nods. She writes it all down before stuffing the pad and pen in her pockets. She takes my menu before turning to me.

"Anything else" she wonders.

"What can you tell me about that couple? Are they always here" I wonder just trying to keep her talking.

She just laughs that one in a million laugh as she nods her head. That auburn hair bouncing around on top of her head. "They're here every morning, 7 am sharp. They order the same thing as Joe reads the paper and Maggie waits for him to say something so she can make a smart remark. A true healthy relationship if you ask me" she giggles.

"Are you good friends with them" I wonder.

"I don't have a lot of friends my age. I always related to the older folk. I guess that's what happens when you have to grow up fast" she shrugs. Her eyes start to get dark and for some reason it made mine get dark too.

"I find it hard to believe you don't have a lot of friends. You seem really cool" I insist trying to make her smile again.

"And what do you know about me baseball man" she asks. My eyes get big as she stares at me. "That's right. I know who you are. I asked Joe to read me what they said about you in the paper and he told me" she claims.

"You asked about me" I smirk.

"Wouldn't you like to know" she teases.

"Well to answer your question, I don't know a lot about you Miss Jenna. But I would like to get to know more" I insist.

"Let me tell you a little something" she claims as she sits down across from me. She crosses her fingers as she sets them on the table. Her eyes staring through me as I wait on edge to hear what she had to say. "In life there's always things we want to know until we know them. Knowledge becomes burdens that are too heavy to carry and something you'll never get rid of.

While not having many friends sucks because I'm 22 years old and always ready for a good time, it works better that way. The burdens I have, the knowledge that was forced upon me carries a lot of weight. Weight I don't like to put on people.

I love that you want to know about me. I love that you keep coming back to this little old cafe when you have the whole world at your feet. But everyone wants to know what they don't until it's too late. It's not that I don't want to tell you about me, it's that it's not worth it" she claims.

"Isn't that my decision to make" I ask her.

"Darlin' you are a sight for sore eyes. You play professional baseball making his way in the world chasing dreams and inspiring the next group of little boys and girls who want to one day play baseball just like you. I mean you've been here what, 3 days, and you're all over the papers and people are walking around town in your jersey. What business do you have getting caught up in the likes of me" she questions.

"Because I'm trying to make it in this city but I'm alone too. And I don't want someone who believes that there's nothing more to do and acts like nothings wrong. You're real, you wear your heart on your sleeve and you're so upfront about everything. Maybe I just want something real for once" I shrug.

She just looks at me as she thinks. I can see the wheels turning in her head as she stares right through me. "You haven't had a lot of problems in your life, have you" she asks.

"No, not at all really" I admit. I didn't have much to complain about.

"Well I've had enough hurtin' to last me a few lifetimes. And while I'm at a point in my life where things are a little bit easier it doesn't change the fact that I've been through things that don't allow me to do the things you do or know the things you know" she explains.

"And I accept that about you. I don't want you to act like everything is okay and I don't want you to try and be something you're not around me. I just want to get to know you, that's all" I promise.

She fights off a smile as her eyes meet mine once again. It made my heart skip a beat as I stare into her eyes. "You're quite the charmer baseball boy" she accuses.

"Do you even know my name" I wonder.

"I know your last name" she admits.

"I'm Kris" I say.

"Kris" she smiles. "I like that."

She goes and puts my order in even though I wasn't even that hungry anymore. I came here to talk to her and that's about it. But I was already here so I might as well eat. She comes back with my food and places a piece of paper next to it.

"What's that" I wonder.

"It's my number. I know you baseball players travel a lot so if you ever want to talk or something then let me know" she claims.

I smile like a idiot as I look at the paper like it was a million bucks. "Are you sure about this" I ask her.

"Sweetie I'm not sure about anything in this life. You never know what's going to happen next. But I trust you will only use that for good" she accuses as she points a stern finger at me.

"Yes Ma'am" I smile.