Twenty Nine~ That's My Girl

Jenna

It's the end of August now and baseball was winding down. The Cubs are looking to keep playing in the post season and they were well on their way to doing just that. Not a lot of teams are doing better than they were which made Kris happy, which made me happy too.

This fine morning I was on my way to watch baseball, but not for Kris. Today I was going to Mary's t-ball game which she couldn't have been more excited about. She tells me that she's been doing freaky good but Farrah says she was a bit of a grass picker, and she sends the pictures to prove it. So I get to see for myself if I have the next Barry Bonds or lawn mower on my hands.

Kris and I grab our folding chairs and set up shop by the dugout where Mary was. I didn't want to be one of those moms who gets way into t-ball games... but I'm totally that mom. I'm southern, I have a attachment to that child that goes beyond family relations and I'm too competitive for my own good. Hopefully Kris can keep me calm and I don't embarrass him too much.

"Morning Kris. Morning Jenny" Farrah says as she puts her chair next to mine. Jon goes and sits next to Kris as they start talking about their game later on today. Jon wasn't pitching which means he will actually talk to us today. I learned the hard way that pitchers don't talk on days they pitch. I thought he hated me but it turns out he goes into a world of his own on those days and I have no reason to be there with him.

"Good morning Darlin'. How are you doing" I ask as Farrah slumps into the seat next to me.

"Mind trading kids for the weekend? I think mine are broken" she claims and I laugh.

"I might take you up on that" I tease.

"I beg to differ" Kris scoffs.

"Me too" Jon adds on.

"Don't get your feathers all ruffled, we're just messing around" I assure the guys.

"What's with them? We're supposed to be the serious ones when it comes to the kids" Farrah teases.

"They don't get the kids as much as we do. They're not trying to get rid of them yet" I wink.

"Just give it time" she mumbles.

The game gets underway and I cheer extra loud for Mary and of course Farrahs boys too. They all looked really good but they were hitting the ball off a t so I'm not sure that's the best assessment of their skills. But hey, she's hittin' the ball so that's a start.

"Let's go Mary! Give that ball a what-for" I yell as I jump out of my chair, fist raised in the air.

"Auntie Jen! You're embarrassing me" she whispers making Kris laugh.

"I'm sorry Pumpkin'. Just try your hardest and remember that I love you no matter what" I insist.

"Please sit" Kris chuckles as he pulls me down. I sit down and Mary steps up to the plate.

It takes her a few swings but she made some good contact. This time Kris jumps up as the ball gets sent into the outfield and about six little kids chase after it because you can tell a kid to go to cover second base but that doesn't mean they'll stay there.

Mary makes it to third before stopping and turning to us. She points to Kris and I like Kris does at the games we come to. She wanted to be like him so darn bad it just might kill her.

"That's my girl" Kris cheers and I just smile up at him. Everything that little girl wanted in a dad this man had. I'm lucky that not only did I find the love of my life or my best friend, but I found a man who looked at my niece like she was his own. Like that was his flesh and blood and I was so lucky he was in my life.

The game ends and I actually enjoyed myself a lot more than I thought I would. I don't think she will want me at a game again any time soon, and she has the right to say that. But I liked hanging out with the Lesters and watching some little kids fuck around in the dirt all morning.

After the game I make Kris and Mary take a hundred pictures. They might not want them but my little baseball family meant the world to me and I know one day when Mary gets older she will want these.

Once we were done we go back to Connies place and invite all the kids on the t-ball team to join us. Most of them come and we get seated. The fresh faces were nice to see in the cafe but there was one person I was missing.

"Excuse me miss, do you know where Connie is" I ask the waitress.

"She was around here earlier but she's gone now. Do you want to leave a message" she asks.

"No thank you honey, I can text her. Thank you though" I smile.

"You're welcome" she responds.

She she takes off and I pull out my phone. I shoot Connie a text before slipping my phone back into my pocket.

"Did you have fun out there kiddo" Kris asks Mary as she smiles so bright. She was tucked under his arm making my heart just melt.

"So much fun! I imagined I was like you" she claims and my heart skips a beat. How cute is that?

"You looked even better than Kris" Jon teases making me giggle.

"I'll try not to be offended by that" Kris grumbles as he takes a long drink of his lemonade.

"What do you want to do the rest of the day? I don't have work and Kris doesn't have to be at work until 4" I ask Mary.

"Can't we all play catch with dad!? I want to work on my throwing" she claims.

"This is the proudest moment of my life" Kris fake cries as I roll my eyes. What a man he was.

"I don't have a glove yet" I remind him.

"You can just use one of mine" he insists.

"Ah city boy, you're forgetting that I am left handed" I remind him.

"See, I always knew I liked you" Jon accuses as he points his fork at me. Farrah just rolls her eyes because she was probably used to all the left handed jokes but we were a rare breed. And very proud of it nonetheless.

"I guess we have a stop on the way to the park to get Jenna a glove" Kris claims.

"Where are you going to get a glove Kris" Jon asks with a shit eating grin.

"The sporting goods store" Kris tries.

"Nope. Doesn't count. Say it" Jon demands.

"I'm not going to say it" Kris claims.

"Just say the name of the store" Jon argues.

"I'm not gonna say it. There's kids around" Kris whispers.

"Kris... you can't say Dicks sporting goods" I ask him and his cheeks get red. Jon starts cracking up as I roll my eyes. "Children. I'm friends with children" I shake my head.

We finish up lunch and Jon pays for everyone's meal. I never heard back from Connie but she's probably with her daughter since they don't get a lot of time together.

We buy me a glove and find a park to play catch at. I never had memories like this as a child where it was just one happy family. But I found one of my own and I know Mary will never wonder what it's like to be close to her parents. We're right here ready to support her in the best ways we can.