Dancing Moonlark

This takes place after Sophie finds out that Edaline and Grady canceled her adoption.

Third Person POV

Sophie sat on her massive bed with her head on her knees.

She closed her eyes and imagined a time with simplicity.

Her mind wandered to the time when she first took dance lessons. The flowy arm movements and the pure happiness of the moment brought Sophie back to the present.

Mind as well try to see if I can dance again.

Sophie walked over to an open space.

She dropped into the splits.

Just imagine she can dance.

It took longer and more strain but she got all the way down.

She reached for her toes on her right and left leg, memorizing the where the tugs were at in her quads.

She changed to the left splits, and that took considerably more time and did the same stretches.

She propped herself upright again and sat in a straddle, readying for the middle splits.

She pushed herself up and over to sit in an uncomfortable position.

She flexed and pointed her toes.

She placed her feet in the first position.

Then second.

Then third.

Then fourth.

Then, finally, fifth.

She pirouetted and landed in fifth.

She spun twice and three times.

Rejoicing in the turns, she kicked up into a handstand.

She was doing a hybrid type of dance.

With tumbling and ballet.

She split in the handstand and kicked back down.

She went over to her iPod and pulled out the earbuds. She listened to some technopop while dancing the familiar dance.

Once, at a recital, she performed for a large crowd. The pumping adrenaline kept her going.

Sophie imagined herself on that stage and prepped herself for the incoming dance.

She started with 5 spins on point and cartwheeled to her right.

She did a back-handspring. Jumping backwards and landing on her hands. She got the right momentum and jumped upright.

She spun the other way only twice and did a front walk-over. She flipped forward.

She also did a suicide, jumping into her front aerial and landing in her splits.

The pain in her quads kept her going.

The dance let her feel her emotions. Every sway, every step had an emotion to go with it.

The dance started out angry. Then sad. Then both.

She twirled her arms and when her iPod let out the final note, she dropped into a deep bow, wondering why she could bow now, but not when other people were watching.

It was like her clumsiness forgot what to do when she danced.

The dance gave her meaning. Character. Life.

She started another dance.

Outside, Edaline and Grady watched Sophie's silhouette dance against the light.