42

"This is so sad."

I chuckle, looking over the burned cookies on the table. They are charred black around the edges, with only the centers left a golden brown.

"Can I ask why you made them in a pie plate?" I ask Bella, trying not to laugh.

She sighs. "The cookie sheet was dirty and I didn't want to do dishes. This seemed like it would be fine. Is there any way to fix them? They're Lucy's favorite."

I smile, looking at them more closely. "Well, you can always use a hand grater to get the burned parts off, but you won't be left with much. I can whip up something delicious, though, if you want."

She looks at me hopefully. "Really?! You're such a lifesaver. I would love that. I promised her a treat after spending time with Avery. She doesn't always enjoy the visits."

I give her a half-smile, feeling sympathetic for the situation. "Well, I know a great recipe for cinnamon sugar muffins that anyone with working tastebuds would absolutely love."

I move the cabinets and search for the ingredients, doing my best not to wreck Bella's kitchen.

"Can I ask you something?" she asks, making her turn to look at her while stirring.

"Yeah, of course."

"How long have you and Sinclair been together?"

I smile, remembering his use of the g-word earlier.

Technically, we never had a specific day on which made it official. I was honestly a little shocked when I heard the term "girlfriend" used, and I know for certain I've never called Sin my boyfriend. However, I don't doubt that what Sin and I have between us is very real, even if it was cultivated quickly.

I'm vaguely aware that telling his aunt we've been dating for a couple days sounds a bit ridiculous, so I'm careful with my words.

"Not long, actually. I just moved here from North Carolina," I reply, whisking the butter and wishing I had Bella's apron around my own clothes.

I tie my caramel-colored hair into a low bun to avoid getting food in it, and Bella replies, "Really? So you weren't around to experience everything that happened over the last year."

"No," I admit. "Sin's had to catch me up quite a bit."

I vaguely wonder how much she actually knows. Obviously, Bella has known Sin for much longer than I have, but that doesn't mean they're very close. I doubt she knows about everything that happened after his mother died. He's not the most forthcoming about details of his issues.

"I'll bet," she nods. "He's always been a bit guarded. I remember talking to him after his mom died, and he would barely say a word. He seemed really out of it."

"Yeah, he'd hardly ever say it, but it's been tough for him to move on," I agree. "He's the strongest person I know, though. And I think he does better every day."

"You seem like a good girl for him," she tells me as I pour the dry ingredients in with the wet to mix.

Before turning on the loud beaters, I look over at her and smile.

"Thanks. And I just want to say, Sin's been through the ringer in every possible way with his family, so I know it means a lot for you to let him come here and really embrace him," I say.

"I'm just glad he's finally interested."

Before Bella or I can say anything else, Lucy bounces into the room energetically. "Are you baking?!"

I smile, a bit surprised because this is the first thing Lucy has even said to me. She barely looked at Sin and me during Avery's earlier visitation. After that, Bella decided to give Sin and Lucy some time together.