Push and Pull

The quietness captivated me and all I could think of was peace. The peace I hadn’t been able to have for days. I rugged myself up in my blankets and kept my eyes closed, trying to fall back into a deep sleep. After a few minutes of forcing my body to rest once more I decided to freshen up. I headed to the shower and walked in.

“What the hell!?”

Little did I know why I had noticed the quietness before… Sam had been in the bathroom. Here he was wrapped in a towel right before my eyes, looking as shocked as I felt. Shock finally wore off and my mind kicked back into action. How could I have not known or realize.

“I’m sorry. I’ll go back to bed and wait. I really am sorry. I didn’t know that you were in here!”

He didn’t look happy at all. He didn’t even seem to want to have any form of communication with me. Last night didn’t end too well. After our argument we walked back to our dorm in silence. He waited for me to get dressed into my night gear and then stayed up for who knows how long as I fell asleep.

“Is there a reason why your still standing here? I would like to have some privacy while I get changed if that’s okay with you?” his deep blue eyes brushed over me and he looked out past the door and into our room.

“Sure.”

I headed back into the room and hopped back into my nice cozy bed. I didn’t feel like sleeping but I didn’t feel like anything, really. It was too early in the morning and unfortunately last night’s argument had put me into a foul mood, one that wasn’t going to easily fade away. Sam was the annoyance of the chirpy people, but today he was Mr. Grumpy head and it annoyed me. Sam exited the bathroom and avoided my glance as if I wasn’t even there. Okay, whatever dude.

 I got out of bed for the second time and grabbed my things, had a shower and got dressed. By the time I had gotten out Sam was all ready and sitting at his desk, browsing through his books. I cleaned my side of the room and then decided that I couldn’t take the silence and Sam’s arrogance anymore! Big deal I nearly hooked up with the popular guy and accidently walked in on him when he only had a towel and nothing else on. It just stressed me, why was he being like this?

“Are you going to act all shitty with me all day?”

“Maybe.” Great, we were now leveling up to the one word sentences.

“What is your problem? I don’t get why your being like this to start with!”

“My problems are just that – my problems. Okay Gabrielle? Does it even matter how it started? What’s done is done. I can’t do anything more about it. I tried my best.” He turned back to his books and buried his head in them.

What did he mean tried his best? He can’t do anything more about what? He had started this bizarre secretive crap last night and was playing along with the same little story now and it wasn’t intriguing it was plain annoying. I walked towards him and shoved his chair, making him face me.

“Just tell me what it is that’s so important you have to hide! I’m sick of never being told anything!” I only had just realized that I was practically yelling at him. The frustration had just built and built and I just didn’t know how bad my reaction would be when it came to the time.

“I can’t! I told you that last night and I’m going to repeat the same thing to you again Gabbi. Don’t push it.” He seemed angry. His tone was icy and cold. A side of him I had never seen, yet I knew I didn’t like.

“Well tell me how I can find out. Please Sam?”

Silence crept up on us again and that same quietness I had been feeling that morning now escalated into frustration and confusion. I wanted to know what was going on and why the situation with Nate was such a bad thing. He finally spoke.

“Your grandmother.”

My grandmother? That was the key? She was the higher angel!? But what did she know that I didn’t. How could Sam know and I didn’t.

I didn’t have class with my grandmother today but I needed to know what was going on. She was meant to come by last night and hadn’t showed when she said she would and after that we headed out to the party. I knew she loved to go home on the weekends. She used to tell me as I was growing up that she had many stressful days and nights and to come home to her little cottage in the country was her favourite thing in the world. Which meant, if she still believed in that she wouldn’t be around for the weekend – so I would have to catch her on Monday afternoon. More waiting, more secrets and less time.

***

There was a knock at the door and I hurried, one hand doing the finishing touches on my hair and the other hand burrowing around for my keys, handbag and phone. I silently wished Sam was here, so at least he could kill some time and answer the door but no, he was at the library doing some research on an English essay. Finally grabbing everything I needed I opened the door and found Nate standing there in a plaid shirt and navy denim jeans and a pair of black converse sneakers. His blonde curly hair was all messy but it looked really cute. His jade green eyes looked amazing, crystal clear but so surreal.

“Hey Nate, let me just grab my bag.” I ran over to my bed and grabbed my bag and headed out the door. 

We walked through the courtyard and towards the main entrance back to the tall iron gates which I had first entered only a day ago. The night air was cool and made me shiver. The night was quiet, we walked past a few other students – most with books in their hands or in a group laughing out loud filling the silence. We stopped outside the iron gates and Nate pressed a button on the side where a brick column stood. A camera hovered over us and turned to capture the right position, there was a click of the gates and then they slowly arched open. Nate walked to a black car parked in the entrance before the gates and hopped into the driver’s seat. I looked at him strangely.

“It’s okay, you can hop in.” He laughed.

I opened the shiny black door to a beautiful interior filled with beige leather and chestnut marble over the dashboard. It was so stunning yet classic.

“How could you afford a car like this?” I asked, stunned by what I saw.

“My old man got it for me a few months back. He’s got the money to spare, likes to flash it around so this was the result of that.”

The way he spoke of his father made me get a vibe that he didn’t really get along with his father. I think he despised the money, well so it seemed or maybe there was something else to it. He pulled away from the Academy and we headed out into the dark roads with only lamp posts and the car’s headlights to guide us on our journey. Nate hadn’t mentioned where we were going and I was kind of nervous and excited at the same time. We spoke very little, I’m not sure if it was because he was driving and was too busy concentrating on the road of it was because of our earlier conversation. After a drive that seemed to take forever he pulled over on a side road and parked outside a park that had a banner that specified ‘Film in the Park Night (Fridays and Saturday’s) Only’. Nate came round to my side of the car and opened my door like a gentleman and then linked his arm in mine. We walked into the park towards the light and the people talking in low mumbles, we grabbed some popcorn from a nearby stand and rested ourselves on a picnic mat that was supplied by the hosts.

The film was about to start and Nate looked to me and smiled. A sudden chill crept up my neck, I felt my body dance to the wind. I couldn’t feel anything any longer. I was numb. The only thing that was moving was my eyes wandering for help. Nate was too focused on the screen to notice and that’s when my head started to spin and then darkness grew, captivating me in its wrath. The next thing I knew I was in the arms of an angel. 

*AUTHORS NOTE : TENTH CHAPTER!! CAN NOT BELIEVE I HAVE FINALLY MADE IT THIS FAR!!!

THANK YOU TO ALL MY READERS AND FANS!! YOUR VERY SUPPORTIVE AND I REALLY APPRECIATED IT!! HERE IS A PHOTO OF SAM! AND THERE IS NOW A PHOTO OF NATE ON THE CHAPTER 'BEAUTY UNLIKE NO OTHER' AND A PHOTO OF MS. URIEL ON THE CHAPTER 'SURPRISE SURPRISE'!!! HOPE YOU LIKE THIS CHAPTER!! PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK AND VOTE! :) I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU ALL!!

X RAQUEL EVELYN X