Chapter 33

Elliana

I returned to my classes the next week, but not without a lot of coddling from my mate. Angie had offered to take me this morning and while Demi was annoyed with it, she also had some other business to attend to, meaning that it was either this or I would have to take the bus. Angie stayed quiet most of the time and I was confused because she usually never stopped talking.

As we pulled into the campus south lot, she parked and turned to look at me. "Just how close are the two of you?"

"I'm sorry?"

She sighed in frustration and rubbed her forehead. "You don't get it, do you?"

"What?" I feigned cluelessness.

"She's clearly got some ulterior motive the way she looks at you! And you never let a single person stay in your room overnight. Suddenly this Demi girl comes along with her weird friend and you're just best friends now? And the other night. I know you two-"

I looked at Angie in disbelief. She had never spoken to me like that before. I scowled and interrupted her. "Will you let it be?" I said in annoyance, suddenly getting very defensive. "I'm old enough to pick my own friends and date, am I not? Adriana has her excuses for being overly protective, what's yours?"

She opened her mouth and then snapped it shut again. I had never spoke to her like that either. "You know what? I don't care." She snapped. "Just get to class."

"I was going to anyways." I muttered under my breath as I got out of her car. I hurried to my first class before choosing a seat near the middle of the lecture hall.

I pulled out my phone and glanced at it. I suddenly realized I didn't have Demi's number. I couldn't even text her if something went wrong.

You don't need my number, baby.

My eyes snapped open in shock and I looked around the lecture hall stupidly. The familiar chuckle filled my head.

Our bond is much more reliable. Won't lose signal if you take the subway.

I giggled a little bit at this. Some girls in the front rows turned to look at me strangely. I blushed, knowing that I probably looked ridiculous laughing at nothing. I sighed. I was particularly adept at making friends and Lana's siblings weren't in many of my classes.

At least I still had Gabby, even though she was back in New York. I was actually going back to visit in two weeks, as it was semester break for the holidays. I had just realized that I never told Demi about it. My mom and I had only talked about it briefly two days ago.

You what?

I flinched involuntarily. "I forgot?" I whispered softly. Demi was silent for a moment.

Honey, you don't need to say it out loud....I can hear your thoughts if they're directed at me.

'Oh. I guess I still have some privacy then.' There was a sigh from Demi.

It's not a good time to go, sweet girl.

I sighed. I had promised that I would visit my mom every holiday and I wouldn't let her down like my sister. Also, I figured that I would actually be more safe back in New York if someone was tracking me here. I just didn't know how I would explain to my mom that I had come face to face with my former kidnapper recently if it became necessary.

Honey, it's not safe and I can't go with you. I hate to break it to you but it'll be hard explaining why you're taking your new "friend", who happens to be several years older than you, judging by appearance, to meet your mom.