Chapter 30 - Trey

I exhale some of my anxiety as Ava's words settle over me. She seems so frightened as if her parents visiting is the most awful thing in the world — What I would give to see some of my family again. But it's probably best not to verbalise that thought and bring down the mood.

"So, how long are they coming for?"

"Not long." Ava lets out a bone-weary sigh as if it's quite the opposite. "They're just passing through on their way to Busselton and wanted to drop in." Her solemn expression makes me want to laugh.

"Geez, Ava, is that all? You had me thinking something terrible... like they're whisking you back to Kalbarri or were moving in as well."

"What? You're not upset?"

"Why would I be? Of course, your family and friends are welcome here. With us living together, I assumed we would have met eventually." Ava stares at me, stunned, before blinking several times. She looks so cute and lost.

"I guess. I don't know. I just thought, maybe you wouldn't want to meet them."

"I don't know what gave you that impression, but I have no problem having them here. This is your home too, and I want you to feel comfortable. The only person I have an issue with is Kyal..."

"Well, he's definitely not welcome." Ava's assurance has me relaxing even more. Hopefully, Kyal will be entirely out of the picture, and all that's left is to somehow convince her parents that I'm not an unemployed basket case without any prospects. And then there's the mammoth task of conquering Ava's heart, however unlikely that is.

Ava loads up her plate with lukewarm Chinese food while we watch cartoons. It's a comfortable silence, but my gaze continually gravitates back to her. She's adorable even when she's scarfing down her dinner. I know I have it for her bad.

"What are your parents' names?" I ask once I'm sure she's finished eating.

"Um, Dawn and Doug."

"What are they like?" I want the lowdown on her family, so I'm at least a little prepared.

"My Dad's only loves are fishing and sport; he's not interested in much else. He owns a fishing charter company. My mum, well, she's the sweetest person ever. She used to be an Accountant, but these days she does the books of the charter business."

"They sound nice. Are you an only child?"

"Yeah, it's just me. I always wanted a little brother or sister, but it never happened. So my parents got me a puppy, Philo, to fill the void." Ava leans back against the couch, stroking her full belly. She seems so comfortable and at ease as she tells me about her childhood in Kalbarri. A feeling of warmth spreads through me, and unconsciously my fingers toy with her hair.

"If your parents don't like the idea of us living together, I'm guessing they definitely won't like the idea of us being... well, more than housemates." I frown while mulling it over. It seems impossible to stay away from her; I'm drawn to her like a moth to a flame. My desire is so incredibly apparent even to me, and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Ava tears her gaze away from the screen to meet mine. "This is new to me and especially to them. But no, I don't think they'll like it or understand..." she trails off as she takes in my hungry gaze and swallows roughly.

"So I have to pretend I'm not into you?" She nods slowly as my fingers lower, stroking the skin of her neck. Ava shivers and bites her lip as I continue to trail my hands and gaze further down. "I don't know how to do that anymore. I can't stop thinking about you, what you look like under these clothes, how you feel. How you taste and sound. I can't get enough of you, Ava." The words spill out of my mouth, and I'm worried I've said too much as she freezes. My fears fade as her lips collide with mine, and then I'm lost in the kiss, lost in us.