Chapter 6 - Ava

After our statements are all said and done, and I refuse the cops offer to take me to the hospital, they take their leave. I hobble into the hall as Trey escorts the officers to the doorway. He thanks them for their assistance and even shakes the older policeman's hand. I watch the exchange curiously before Trey closes the door and turns; his expression is surprised to find me standing in the hallway.

"How's the ankle?" His tone is concerned, and I see in his eyes he doesn't think I ought to be walking around on it unnecessarily.

"It feels a bit better after the painkillers," I decide to change the subject before he scolds me, "I doubt the Police will be able to do anything," I sigh heavily, feeling a wave of hopelessness. "I barely even have a description."

Trey shrugs at my words. "Who knows, maybe he passed the shops, and the cameras there caught something. Heaps of people have home surveillance these days. So it's not completely hopeless." Despite everything, the robbery, the fact I've most probably lost my job, that I'm injured. I can't help but smile up at Trey; he really has been my knight in shining armour.

"Thank you, Trey. You've helped me so much," I hope to convey just how incredibly grateful I am.

"Anything you need, Ava," he beams back at me, eyes crinkling, and I can't help but appreciate how handsome he is. I never noticed before, but he did have long hair and a beard the other times.

"You look so different without your hair." The words burst out of me as I feel my cheeks heat. He brushes his hand across the short spikes as if he's forgotten all about it.

"Yeah, thought it was time for a change," he says, acting as if my comment on his hair isn't strange at all.

"Looks good," I let slip. Goodness, my mouth needs to be stapled shut. I blush a shade darker while remembering walking in on him half-naked, which is something I definitely shouldn't be thinking about. What the hell? Gods, I'm turning into Letty.

"Good to know," he says as a sexy smile plays on his lips as if he knows what I was thinking. I'm instantly flustered and hastily look away.

"So ah, can I borrow your phone again. I need to call my real estate for a key," I squeak out, but he's already approaching me with a mobile in his hand. I take the phone from his fingers which feel several degrees warmer than my icy ones.

"Sure, you don't want a hot shower and change of clothes first. You're trembling and have blood in your hair0". There's something very honest about Trey, and I feel even safer considering the cops were just here. I give him a vigorous head nod, not trusting my mouth, and he shows me to the ensuite. After providing me with a fresh towel and a change of clothes, I smile and thank him once again. He leaves the bedroom as I close the bathroom door.

I turn the hot up and slip off my black waitress attire before stepping into the steamy shower. The hot water sears my skin, banishing away the cold. After washing my hair, I sigh, thinking of all the things I need to do; get spare keys from the real estate, call the cafe to explain what happened, ring my parents and try to call Kyal. My mind wonders if Kyal could see me right now, he'd probably be freaking out. Maybe I shouldn't be in a random strangers shower, but it's been a bizarre day. Finally, realising I've been standing here for too long, I turn the faucet off and hastily begin drying myself.

Picking through the bundle of Trey's clothes, I pull on a hoodie and track pants. Maybe the head injury has made me delirious, but a giggle slips out as I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I look like a little hoodlum. The jumper's practically a dress on me, but at least the track pants fit my hips even though they're much too long. I call the real estate and bundle up my damp clothes before leaving the room.