Chapter 5 - Trey

The sound of raindrops pounding on the metal roof usually is soothing. But this morning, they feel like stones falling upon me, burying me ever deeper into my mattress. I stare up at the ceiling of my darkened room, praying for the sleep that's evaded me all night. When a shrill scream managed to puncture through the thundering rain. I don't have time to think; my body just reacts, flooding through the front door and down the slick porch steps. I'm met with a girl on the pavement where she's fallen outside. I barely have time to register that she's the pretty girl I bumped into at the Deli and bus stop, as adrenaline courses through me, making my fear and cowardice retreat for the moment.

"Are you OK?" I ask in a rush of concern while stooping to help her. As the question falls from my lips, it's obvious that she isn't alright. She clutches at her tender head, where she's clipped the pavement on her fall.

"You...it's you," she whispers as she stares up at me with those beautiful blue eyes. She looks genuinely surprised to see me as she lowers her hand from her face.

"Aw shit, you're hurt," I notice as the rain mingles with the cut above her eyebrow, making her bloodstream down her cheek in trickling lines.

"Can you help me up?" she asks meekly. I manage to just hear her soft voice over the downpour and nod in agreement. Then, clasping her hand, I gently pull her to her feet.

"Ah, my ankle," she winces in pain.

"Come on, let's get you inside and looked at. My house is just here," I urge her, nodding to the steps. She hesitates for a moment, looking up at my house, studying the front door that I left open in my haste. Finally, her eyes find mine, and she's staring up inside me. I can see the internal cogs churning, debating whether to trust me. She's cold, soaked through and injured, so it doesn't take long for her to make a decision. She nods in agreement before eyeing the steps.

"The steps, though," she says in concern. I'm already nodding,

 understanding what she's getting at when I scoop her up in my arms. Carrying her inside, I kick the door shut on the rain that's sheeting its way indoors and make my way down the dim hallway. It's hard to believe the beauty I've been thinking about is cradled in my arms. But there isn't time to linger; I place her gently down on the couch and flick on the light.

"I'll grab the first aid kit," I say softly. She clutches at her head before pulling her hand away to see the crimson.

"Oh wow, I'm bleeding," she exclaims as I scurry off for provisions, returning moments later with towels and a first aid kit. I kneel by her on the couch and hold up the towel hesitantly, I want to staunch the bleeding, but I'm suddenly shy and worried about hurting her.

"I don't know why you're helping me, but thank you," Ava says softly as she takes the cloth from my hands. She holds it to her head as she looks down at me. Those blue eyes are unnerving that I can't maintain her gaze.

"It's no problem...I'm Trey, by the way," I mumble as I shuffle through the small medical kit, hunting for a large enough plaster.

"So you're Trey?" she whispers, making me look up to watch her eyes go round. There's a flash of recognition, and I can easily guess why she's heard of me. "I'm Ava... I honestly don't know what I would have done without you today," she says shakily.

Fuck, even her name is beautiful.

I avert my eyes and focus on uncorking a bottle of iodine. I batter hopelessly at my timidity, trying to find words, but my courage had scampered off. Thankfully she doesn't seem to notice my shyness.

"It was all such a blur, I didn't even see the guy, and then you were there. Did you get a look at him?" Ava's inquiry makes my head snap up. I gape at her in disbelief for a moment, trying to comprehend her words.