Chapter 13 - Trey

"You said alcohol would make me feel better." I glance over at Ava from the unfinished beer bottle I'm peeling the wrapper off. She's swaddled up in my oversized hoody and hugging her knees. Sensing my stare she looks up. Fuck me, those big blue eyes of hers are pools of misery rimmed in red. It breaks my heart to see her this way. I just wish I could make them sparkle with laughter.

"No, I said, you look like you need a drink, and it might take your mind off things..." Looking down at the collection of beer bottles, we've made a solid effort. Or were some of them there before? I can't even recall.

"It's not working." Fat tears begin to stream down Ava's cheeks again. I can't bear her misery another second and scoot across the couch to wrap my arms around her. She nestles into my chest with a sob before cuddling me back so tightly. It feels like she belongs here. I think I can die happy if she squeezes the air out of me.

"I'm sorry, Ava. I'm the worst person to give any advice or comfort." My lips mumble the words into her silky hair as the sweet smell of her shampoo engulfs my senses. Stop enjoying this. "But I will say this. The assholes fucking deserve each other and karma will give them what they deserve. In time this betrayal will hurt less." Her tense little body stops squeezing tightly, but she doesn't pull away. No way am I going to be the one to object.

She shakes her head against my chest and breathes in deeply, trying to calm her sobs. "I just don't get it..." Her lips mumble against the fabric of my jumper. "I thought she was my friend. We grew up together...Why? How could she? And him, why I thought he loved me? Did I do something wrong? Am I not pretty enough to move towns for?" Her voice cracks at the last question, and I'm instantly infuriated that she would ever think such things.

As much as I don't want to, I pull her off my chest so I can stare into those sad blue eyes. She seriously needs to snap out of these thoughts right now. My nostrils flare as I unload. "You listen to me. You're the most beautiful and kindest girl I've ever met. Your ex is  insane to cheat on you. Your friend sounds like a fucking snake and you were probably too nice to even notice. Don't sit there for one more second thinking there's something wrong with you." I'm riled up just thinking of her betrayal and heart break. If I could get my hands on that ex on hers. 

A blush spreads across Ava's cheeks at my words, and she looks taken aback. I drop my hands from her shoulders realising I've been holding her still. "You... you really think that?"

"Of course, I mean that, Ava. It pisses me off that they hurt you, but this, come on...Don't let those assholes eat away at your confidence too." She looks up at me, dumb-founded as if she still doesn't believe me. "He seriously must be brain dead to cheat on you. I wish you knew that." I rake my hands down my face trying to comprehend that fucker's stupidity. If Ava were mine, I'd spend every waking moment telling her how breath-taking she and kissing the ever living shit out of her. Just thinking about thhas a wave of heat coursing through me. I need to calm down.... I need to stop talking. 

"Um, can I have another beer please?" The question spills out Ava quickly and she's still flushed. I must have said something stupid to upset her. Why else would she completely change the subject. I hum in reply and get up to retrieve.

Pulling two beers out of the fridge and a sigh escapes me, there's no other remnants of the carton in sight. I don't feel that drunk now, but I can't seem to shut up. I'm probably going to be hating myself tomorrow.

"Here you go." I pass her a beer and resume my original seat on the other side of the couch. The credits are rolling on the movie we were watching but I can't remember for the life of me, what it was about. "What do you want to watch, Ava?"  She's playing with her hair in a deep trance as I pass over the remote control.