Chapter 24 - Ava

"You look as exhausted as I feel," Letty remarks as we meet at the Campus Cafe mid-morning. Even though I got to Uni as fast as Trey and Perth's public transport system would allow, I still completely missed my first lecture. But luckily, the subject in question was one that Letty and I shared, so after a text message begging for her notes, we met up. "Were you stressing about your essay last night too?" She's referring to the paper that I finished a week ago but didn't want to rub it in her face.

"Ah, not quite. I didn't get a chance for homework last night..." I give her a wink that she instantly interprets. Letty squeals so loudly the whole coffee shop turns to peer at us.

"Hot damn! I knew you wouldn't stay housemates for long!" Letty's utterly oblivious to the mixture of stares and glares as she chuckles loudly. Geez, who knew me getting laid would bring someone this much glee. I fleetingly wonder if this is what true friendship is. My mind unwelcomely whirls back to the time I confided to my best-friend Katy that Kyal and I had done the deed on my sweet 16th birthday; she seemed far from ecstatic. How did that not register at all to me before?

"So, tell me everything!" Letty commands as we jostle forwards in the queue to order drinks.

"Letty! I can't do that." My cheeks feel hot as I whisper, and I'm conscious of the many faces watching us with rapt interest. I'm definitely not as frank as Letty when it comes to boys. Thankfully at that moment, we're next in line, and the barista asks me for my order. "A grande latte and regular caramel latte, please."

"Hey, I thought you were joking about bribing me for my lecture notes with coffee."

"No, I was serious. I owe you one." I tap my card at the register, and we scutter off to the sidelines to wait for our takeaway order.

"OK, fine. But come on, you don't have to get into the specifics. Who initiated it? Is Trey good at kissing? I bet he is." I lead us further away from the counter and plop down on a stool.

"I can't remember who initiated it first. But yes, Trey's ah... amazing at everything he does." My cheeks redden as I gush, which sets off Letty's giggling once more.

"He sounds very attentive then. So, is that hairdresser completely out of the picture then? Please tell me your exclusive?"

"Trey said she got the message. Mia was just a fling." I can't help but frown as I mutter the hairdresser's name. Ugh. I had told Letty all about how I saw them smooching on his porch steps. Letty had feigned a broken heart at the time, but it was my stomach that churned with jealousy. Avoiding Letty's question about exclusivity is easily done when my phone buzzes, and I pull it out of my jacket pocket, glad of the diversion. The message is from Ray's AutoShop, and I smile so wide.

*Parts are in. Your car will be available to collect this arvo*.*

"Oh my god! Is Trey sending you dirty messages?" I have to laugh at Letty's intense stare; she looks about ready to wrench my phone out of my hands.

"Get your head out of the gutter." I chuckle at Letty and shake my head before typing out a quick reply. "No, it's the mechanic. My car's going to be ready this afternoon. I won't need to catch buses anymore."

"That's great news. Look at you getting a new bae and your wheels back in one day." If I had my coffee, I most probably would have snorted it out of my nose at that. "So, do you need a lift to the shop?" I'm thrown by her offer, which is so incredibly kind.

"Um, that would be kind of great if you don't mind. But, I'll owe you more than a latte."

"Well, actually, I was wondering if I could borrow that cute blue jacket of yours for my date tonight?" I try to divert the conversation and jump at the mention of her date.