Chapter 23 - Trey

My morning begins like no other; I'm exhausted, but not because I've had a lousy night's sleep haunted by nightmares, only because we kept waking each other up for another round. I can understand how people can become lost in someone; my need for Ava is insatiable.

The last twenty-four hours have been the most wonderful in my life, and I'm in a state of euphoria I didn't know existed. Now I finally understand what all those love songs were written about. There's nothing quite like fresh romance, especially when it's with your dream woman.

I glance at my alarm clock, and it's nearly 8:15 am. I don't know Ava's schedule well, but she seems to have classes after 9 am on most weekdays.

"Wake up, Angel," I murmur against her ear as I nibble at her lobe. She nestles deeper into the pillow and moans. "Come on, sleepyhead. Wake up." I nuzzle her neck with my lips and stubble.

"Hmm, Trey." I smile to myself, loving the fact it's my name upon her lips.

"Sorry to wake you...again, but don't you have class this morning?" Those beautiful blue eyes from my dreams blink up at me. Her mascaras smudged slightly, and her dishevelled hair resembles a thicket, but regardless she's gorgeous. I'm the luckiest man in the world. All my blood seems to scatter south.

"What's the time?" Ava murmurs in a raspy voice as she wets her chapped lips. I want to taste her, swallow her whole.

"8:15," Ava stills, and her eyes shoot open.

"Ugh, I better get up." Ava scrubs a hand over her eyes and immediately sits up. "I so need a shower and a caffeine drip," I smirk at Ava's grumbling, amused that she seems like less of a morning person than me. I'm already on my feet and reaching for the dresser.

"Why don't you get that sweet ass in the shower then? I'll get you a fresh towel and rustle you up a coffee." I slide on a pair of track pants with some difficulty, thanks to my morning wood.

"That would be amazing." I turn to see Ava's watching me with a grin.

"Enjoying the show?" I ask, and she nods her head.

"It's a shame we don't have time for anything else..." Ava's pouty lip is adorable, but I need to resist.

"As much as I would love to join you in the shower, I don't want to make you later."

"Hmm, I may have to hold you to that another time." Ava throws off the sheet and gets up. It's my turn to gape as I watch her longingly as she strides over to the ensuite. The small comfort I have is the fact that I've just spent the last twelve hours with her, mostly naked. But I'm a greedy man. My body is drawn to her, and I have to force myself to walk away.

I flick the kettle on and stroll into the laundry to grab Ava a towel. She has me so elated that I catch myself whistling. It's terrifying having this kind of high, I know it's not sustainable, and I'm unprepared for the end. But even though it's going to wreck me, I can't stop myself from falling deeper.

Walking into the steamy bathroom, minutes later, I place a towel and cup of coffee down on the countertop. The hot water beads down on that delectable body as she lathers her hands through her dark tresses. "Coffee and towel milady."

"Thank you, Trey. Could you possibly get my bathrobe? It's hanging on the hook behind my bedroom door. Ava offers up a mega-watt smile that has me mesmerised. I almost forget about everything until I'm at the foot of the stairs. One step upwards, and my good mood slips a fraction. But this torture is worth her happiness, Ava's damn smile compels me forward.

It's such a normal request, but I'm anything but ordinary as the staircase creaks underfoot. My chest feels heavy, and my breath is laboured as I reach the landing. I repeat the mantra, "the ghosts of the past can't hurt me anymore," but saying it aloud, unfortunately, doesn't make it true.