Chapter 9 - Trey

Wading out into the night, the chilled air wakes me up as I saunter the short distance home. I tried hard to conceal it, but my hopes are utterly crushed. Ava doesn't know, but her apartment walls are paper-thin, so I unintentionally eavesdropped on her phone call.

Unlocking the front door, I stare down the shadowed hall. The house is as dark and hollow as I feel. I didn't even know it was possible to mourn something you never even had. Shaking my head to myself, I make my way to the kitchen and pour myself the first of many whiskeys, not even bothering with ice and mixer. I figure it's cold enough, and drinking myself into oblivion needs to be done right.

I take a long swig of the amber liquid, enjoying as the heat spreads through me. This isn't sulking. That's definitely not what I'm doing. I'm just confused, I feel like Ava's the queen of mixed messages: Friends don't eye fuck each other. I'm convinced our connection is more than platonic. But everything changed for me when I overheard her conversation with her boyfriend. I clench my fist around my glass at the memory of how her sweet voice called him babe. So, this is what jealousy feels like.

Taking my glass and bottle, I hunker down under the front porch at the small wrought iron outdoor setting. Sipping at the whiskey, my mind muses on all I learned tonight. I can imagine being alone in a new city is frightening, let alone this city, which has already hurt Ava. She's resilient, but I think she likes to lean on someone. Unfortunately, it just so happens her someone, her boyfriend, Kyal, is unreliable. I overheard how Ava reacted when he delayed moving here. Whatever his reasons, you'd have to be insane to leave a girl like Ava alone. Look at what already happened. This city will chew you up and spit you out. I shake my head to myself and pour another drink.

Lighting up a smoke, my mind replays all her touches, her leg brushing up against me at the kitchen bar. The way her fingers grazed mine as she took my bowl. A scoff escapes my lips. Maybe she's not intentionally toying with me, and it's just the undeniable pull. I feel it still. My eyes flick up to the lights in her kitchen window. After dinner, I asked for Ava's phone number, and she didn't hesitate to give it to me. The alcohol courses through me, making me feel bold. Friends can thank each other for dinner, can't they?

*Thank you for a fantastic dinner. I'm telling Ming he needs to step up his game.*

I hope my text message makes her smile, at least, even if she doesn't respond. But her reply comes through thick and fast, and I flatter myself with the idea that she was waiting for it.

*That's kind of you to say. I hope you have a good night Trey.*

Her message is short and sweet, just like her. I may be upset at what was unearthed tonight, but the whiskey is making me mischievous. I'll probably regret this all later when she never messages me again.

*You too. Sweet dreams, Angel.*

I hit send and then throw back the rest of my glass. The lights in her apartment go out shortly after, and her reply never comes. It's just me and my bottle of whisky once again.

~

The following afternoon, as I'm nursing a hungover, I recall Mia invited me to the movies. Naturally, I'm reluctant to go, especially with all the unknowns. My mind unfairly envisions a gaggle of her girlfriends, all equally as loud and excitable. But then I remember the look of utter glee on her face when I accepted her invitation. It's strange to be wanted. But maybe after last night, going to the cinema would be a nice distraction after all.

I throw something on and stroll to the Barbershop, not quite knowing what to expect. I sincerely hope I'm not the only male and that it's a comedy. My Nan forced me to watch way too many romantic dramas. I'm chainsmoking and pacing outside when Mia exits the Barbershop.