Chapter 25 - Trey

With a fresh beer in hand, I resume my position on the couch when a high pitched squeal startles me. My stubbie goes flying out of my hands as my heart batters away in my chest. I motion for the stairs, but fear and dread have me hesitating on the second step. My mind is awash with echoes of the past. I try to compel myself upwards when footsteps make their down the hall. I breathe a sigh of relief as Ava issues into the landing. "You two OK? I heard a scream," I call up to her.

"Yes, we're OK," she says, sliding her hand along the worn railing as she takes the stairs two at a time to meet me. "Letty just got..." She stops talking when she notices that I'm on the second step. "Are you alright, Trey?"  I nod faintly in agreement while staring. Her beauty is captivating and incredibly distracting. Fuck, I missed her today.

"So. Letty had an idea, and I'm only suggesting it, so don't feel obligated. She's nervous about her date tonight and was hoping we could go on a double date... I told her you may already have reserved a table somewhere so we can tell her no if you don't want to." Ava's voice comes out in a breathy rush; she looks concerned like she's asking the world of me.

Hiking my shoulders, I speak nothing but the truth. "Nothing's booked. And as long as I'm with you, I really don't mind where we go or who we go with." Ava's answering smile threatens to crack her dimples; it's that massive. She plants a sloppy kiss on my cheek.

"Thank you, Trey. So, do you like Mexican food?" Of course, who doesn't? But even if I despised tacos, I'd be agreeing anyways, just to keep that smile planted on her face.

"You never have to ask me that. I'm always down for tacos and tequila." Literally, I could live and breathe them.

"I feel the same way about tacos, but you can keep the tequila."

"So no lick, sip, and suck for my Angel?" She shakes her head in the negative while grinning like a fool. That's a shame. I wouldn't mind licking the salt off her. "Well, if you're sure, I'd better go tell Letty the good news."

"I'm sure." I plant a chaste kiss on Ava's cheek and watch her ass with rapt attention as she ascends the stairs.

~

The Mexican joint is dim, crowded and incredibly loud, but the smells issuing from the kitchen make me think it must be worth it. Our tables conversation is mainly monopolised by Letty as she seems to believe drinking tequila will make her less nervous around her date, Caleb. He looks bored and disinterested no matter how much she babbles away.

Caleb nods across the table, wrestling my attention away from the girls. "You smoke?" I hadn't even been craving a smoke, but his words trigger the need, and I nod. "Let's head outside." He's already slipping out of the booth as I lean over and whisper into Ava's hair that we'll be a couple of minutes. She shakes her pretty head in agreement before I plant a kiss on her cheek.

We wade through the throng towards the exit and emerge into the cool night air. I waste no time lighting a smoke, hoping it'll warm me up. Fuck, I miss my long hair. My ears are bloody cold.

"You been dating long?" I dimly hear Caleb's question while eyeing his vape with disgust.

"We live together. But no official labels yet." I try to keep my voice light, not wanting to convey my desperation.

Cal whistles wafting out a thick puff of sweet-smelling vapour. I don't know why it offends me so much, but it makes me dislike him more. "So you're housemates with benefits? Talk about shitting where you eat."

"Nothing like that man. She just got out of something serious, and we kind of just happened."

"Yeah, well, I wish you well with that ticking timebomb. Bitches be crazy. So, get this. Letty told me I need to work to get in her pants! She pretty much told me outright I wasn't getting laid tonight. Like I don't have an app on my phone that'll guarantee that shit." I nod dully at his speech. My mind is made up; he's an utter douche bucket.