Shadow boxing

Shadow Days, by John Mayer

"Well it sucks to be honest
And it hurts to be real
But it's nice to make some love
That I can finally feel
Hard times let me be.

I'm a good man, with a good heart
Had a tough time, got a rough start
But I finally learned to let it go

Now I'm right here, and I'm right now
And I'm open, knowing somehow
That my shadow days are over
My shadow days are over now."

"Damn!" Damon hissed and closed his eyes.

I took my feet off his lap and sat up. "What are you thinking of?" I asked him.

He looked at me. "It may be that...," he hesitated go on.

"It may be that what?" I didn't let him out.

He jumped up and walked to the fireplace. Putting his hands on the mantelpiece, he stared into the flames.

"We just talked about decisions and consequences..." he murmured.

It dawned on me that this couldn't be good. Was his past haunting us?

"Wasn't Bree the name of the bar owner in Georgia, the one you've dragged me to back in the first year?" Elena suddenly asked.

He nodded.

"You've been together at college. Did you know her brother?" she dug deeper.

I waited anxiously for his answer.

"No, we've never met. But you remember the vampire who wanted to kill me back then?" he replied.

"Oh yes, I do."

Damon's hands clenched around the stone. "Bree had this trap arranged for me, Elena," he said.

Her eyes widened and she stood up. "You went to her to say goodbye before we left," she whispered.

"Well, I did," he replied.

"What exactly did you do?" I wanted to know.

He turned and looked me straight in the eye. His gaze was hard and controlled. "I tore her heart out."

He had taken vengeance on her. I closed my eyes for a moment. I had expected something brutal, but I was still a little shocked.

"I had saved your life and only minutes later you've turned around and killed someone?" Elena was horrified.

Damon said nothing. He walked over to the bar and poured himself a drink.

"You saved him? You never told us," Caroline pressed.

Stefan watched the whole thing with interest, but said nothing.

"The vampire who wanted to kill him had been Lexi's mate. He wanted to burn Damon in revenge for her death, but I begged him not to do it, in memory of Lexi's goodness. End of story." Elena crossed her arms as a sign that she didn't want to elaborate any further.

"How strong he is, Mom?" I interrupted. I needed clarity what we were facing.

"We don't know exactly, but he was already pretty damn good back then. I only managed to defeat him together with Bonnie's mother," Aunt Abby said.

"Sheila has warned us, nothing more, but if a witch and a vampire work together, nothing is safe," my mother added.

Stefan cleared his throat. "Well, that wouldn't be the first time that we have to deal with this combination!"