Like a summer night's dream

"And I don't know know, I don't know what I can do for you

you make my heart beat beat a beat , like a drum for you

everyday is closer

Don't take it back, no no sir"

Heartbeat, by Kopecky Family Band

Helen excused herself for the ladies' room and John glanced at me.

"You are 148 years older than Helen, to be exact," he whispered.

I didn't reply, I just raised an eyebrow.

"I know what and who you are, Damon Salvatore," he added.

"How?" I asked.

"Rafael Corey had been Mystic Falls' sheriff before Liz Forbes took over, but the council didn't think him proactive enough."

I was baffled. "You know Liz?"

He nodded. "Yep, we keep contact on a regular basis."

I looked around. "Are you telling me that you're part of an anti-vampire unit?" I hissed quietly.

Now it was his turn to make sure nobody listened. "After a few incidents with vampires, Rafael trained a few colleagues. Henson and I are the only survivors. Rafael always believed that there are vampires who don't want to just kill." He leaned back.

"And you?" I asked.

"I believe it too, but Henson doesn't."

I pondered on it. "Does Helen know anything?"

He shook his head. "She doesn't remember. After her dad got killed, I asked a vampire friend to compel her – Lexi Branson."

I grimaced.

"I know you've killed her," he responded calmly.

"I thought it was the right thing to do back then," I whispered.

"I know your world is different, Damon. All I'm asking for is Helen's safety, that's all I want."

I leaned forward and held his gaze. "I won't hurt her, promise. I do like her."

For a moment, he returned my gaze seriously, and then he smiled.

"Fine, very good. Seems like Liz was right," he replied.

I gave him a questioning look, but Helen returned at the same moment. "So, did you two get along well?"

I looked at John and grinned. "Yep, your uncle told me all your little nasty secrets."

She played being indignant and looked at John. "You wouldn't, would you?"

John grinned. "Of course I did. For example how you set your mind on marrying Jason at the tender age of eight and persistently tried to kiss him. Poor boy ran from you for the better half of the day!"

I couldn't hold my laughter, this was a hilarious story! She looked at me with surprise.

John chimed in until tears of laughter rolled down his face.

"And do you remember how you tied him to our apple tree afterwards, so that he couldn't fight you anymore?"

Helen blushed to the roots of her hair. "You are impossible!" she finally grumbled, but then she had to laugh too.