A painful lesson

"The worst comes out when I'm alone

I think I'm hiding, but you've always known

can you meet me in that place

when I'm too ashamed to show my face

and... all I can do is make others bleed

a prideful ego fire I'm eager to feed

and they say I'm a good guy"

Woe is me ... I am ruined, by The Lonely Forest

I felt embarrassed and he also seemed a little confused, but then his expression changed.

"Well, I am a pretty delicious morsel," he joked, but the punch line didn't hit home with me.

He saw it and sighed. "Don't dramatize it, Helen. Just to let you know, I've also had a hard time stopping." He cupped my cheeks.

"It happened in the heat of the moment, right? Sometimes control is hard to achieve, and sex is about letting go."

I nodded. He was the expert here, I had to rely on his judgement.

He kissed my forehead tenderly. "I've got one more advice for you," he said.

I raised an eyebrow. "What is it?"

He tapped his finger on my nose. "You shouldn't die within the next twenty-four hours."

A large question mark must've appeared above my head, because he elaborated further.

"If you die with my blood in your system, you'll have to make a final decision."

My mind started to work in overdrive. How could I make a decision if I had died? Unless... oh... no! Abruptly, I jumped up.

"You're saying I would come back as a vampire?" I shouted horrified.

He sat on the edge of the mattress and gave me a serious look.

"No, you would be in transition and had to decide, if you wanted to really die or be like me."

I held my head and paced on the spot. "And you couldn't have mentioned that earlier?" I snarled at him.

"Excuse me, we just had fantastic sex and this detail wasn't my first concern!" He jumped up too and faced me now, grumbling slightly.

The word 'fantastic' sort of reconciled me inwardly with him, but I wasn't ready to give him this satisfaction.

"Detail? Well, then you better keep your watch over me during the next twenty-four hours!" I fumed and stomped into the bathroom.

A few minutes later there was knock on the door. "What?" I fretted unnerved.

"Everything okay?"

I rolled my eyes. This man really bugged me!

"Yeah, sure, would you please give me a little privacy!"

Which was the truth, somehow. I needed to get a clear head.

Alright, the sex had been... overwhelmingly fantastic. I couldn't swipe the grin from my face. It had been fantastic from the start...

Oh God! I blanched. I hadn't taken any precautions – not once! Why the hell? I asked myself panicking. This wasn't me, being so irresponsible.

What the hell had I been thinking? Nothing, my conscience screamed at me. I tore at my hair.