Chapter 27: All-New Josie Mathis

Start from the beginning

Elsewhere*

Josie Mathis's POV*

I washed my hands, dried them with a tissue, and put on a surgery suit, then I put on my surgery mask, then I put on my rubber gloves. 

I faced a mirror with half-raised back faced hand and I went and did my job as a surgeon.

After a few surgeries, I headed out for my cottage in the northern part of Mistral.

Along the way, I was hit by a car and my hands were damaged.

A few months of trying to fix my hands passed and I was left nearly hopeless.

A woman told me about seeking out a place called, "Cenere" and that it was in Mistral.

I arrived in Mistral with what money I had left and started looking around for this Cenere place.

These guys surrounded me and I said, "Guys, I... I don't have any money.".

One said, "Your amulet.".

I said, "No, please. It's all I have left to remember my family.".

They said, "Your amulet.".

I said, "All right." and tried to fight them off but I failed and soon enough a woman entered the fray and saved me from them.

She asked, "You're looking for Cenere?".

I looked at her wide-eyed and filled with hope and I asked, "Really?". 

We walked off and headed for this small little temple.

She said, "I once stood in your place. And I, too, was... disrespectful. So might I offer you some advice?".

I nodded and she leaned closer and said, "Forget everything you think you know.".

I said, "Uh... cryptic... but alright.".

We entered this nice ornate room and she said, "The sanctuary of our teacher, The Sorcerer Supreme.".

I asked, "The Sorcerer Supreme? What's his real name?". 

She looked at me with a look and said, "Right. Forget everything I think I know. I'm sorry.". 

We entered the room and I looked at the old man sitting nearby reading a book.

I assumed he was The Sorcerer Supreme.

Some people took my coat and set it on a coat rack.

I said, "Okay, that's, uh... a thing...".

A girl handed me a cup and I said, "Thank you.". 

A woman with a white cloak stepped up and poured some tea for me.

I said, "And thank you.".

I turned to the old man and said, "Uh, thank you, Sorcerer Supreme... for... seeing me..." as he got up and walked away.

The woman in the white cloak said, "You're very welcome." 

I looked at her a little shocked and confused.

She looked past me and said, "Thank you, Master Anna. Thank you, Master Hassan.". 

She turned to me and said, "Ms. Mathis!".

I said, "Doctor, actually.".

She said, "Well, no. Not anymore, surely. Isn't that why you're here?".

I said, "Yeah... Good tea.".

She said, "Yes." and she set the pot of tea down.

I asked, "Did you heal a paralyzed woman?".