Part 37

Henry

Only a few more days until Aiyana's due date and I can't wait to meet our baby. Aiyana is convinced it's a boy, but honestly, I would be happy with either. Either way, the kid is going to kick ass as an Alpha.

I make my way back to our cottage as my day runs through my head. I will be happy when Finn is sent home. He has been a constant thorn in my side since he got here, always undermining my authority and criticizing my actions.

We were discussing new plans for security after the rogue attacks and every idea I came up with got a snide comment from him.

"Well, that might work in theory, but I'm sure in practice it will fall short."

We've been having the older warriors out doing patrols every couple of hours and the younger warriors shadowing them.

"Is that really wise? How are fresh wolves going to protect the pack?"

It's taken a lot of patience not to punch him in the throat.

I finally make it back to the cottage and I can't wait to have Aiyana's comforting arms around me.

"Aiyana? Where are you?"

Nothing. That's odd. Maybe she didn't hear me.

I yell louder, "Marco!"

Still nothing.

I walk upstairs thinking maybe she's taking a nap, but when I get there, the bed hasn't been touched. My heart starts to pound; where is she?

I walk towards the patio and see two mugs next to the chairs. I pick them up but they're cold. They haven't been touched in several hours.

I try to reach out to Aiyana through our mind-link. She wouldn't just leave mugs out like that. When I'm not able to feel her, I reach out to my officers, telling them to get their asses to my cottage.

I close my eyes to see if I can't smell anything out of the ordinary. No luck; only Aiyana and Cheryl, but Cheryl has been here a lot lately helping around the house.

When my officers arrive, I let them know what's going on and to search every corner of the grounds. I take one of them and head to Cheryl's room on the off chance she's there.

When there's no answer to my knocking, I try to open the door.

"Why is it locked?"

I back up and rush forward, shoving my shoulder into the door. It flies off its hinges and hits the floor with a loud thud.

"Aiyana? Are you in here? Cheryl?"

When there isn't a response we start tearing apart the room trying to find anything that could lead to Aiyana.

I look under the bed and see a couple of books. One book after another about pregnancy and taking care of babies. There's even one on taking care of an adopted baby. The last one I pull out makes my panic skyrocket.

DC Dutta's Textbook of Obstetrics

I open to the marked page as my hands shake. She was teaching herself how to induce labor. What has she done to Aiyana?

Before I can bark orders I hear a commotion outside. "Alpha!"

I walk to the door with the book in hand and find two of my officers holding Finn up.

"Goddess, what happened? Bring him in here. On the bed."

"We found him knocked out in the woods. He looks pretty beaten up."

I look at his wounds and hold myself back from adding to them. Of all the times for Finn to get his ass handed to him, he chooses now?

I slap him across the face a few times, waking him.

"What happened?"

"That's what I want to know. Tell me what happened before I add to the injuries."

He swallows, "I was taking a walk when I saw Cheryl talking to someone in the woods. A twig broke under my foot and the next thing I know you're slapping me across the face. What is the meaning of this attack?"

I try to keep my rage from getting a hold of me. "Nope, not working." I punch the wall so hard my hand goes through to the other side.

People around me jump to make sure I'm okay, but I'm steaming.

"He's got her. That son of a bitch Damien has her and that cunt helped him."

"Your Luna has been taken? Goddess, Henry, if you can't even keep your wife from getting hurt and taken, why should this pack trust that you'll keep them safe?"

I move to punch him in the face but I'm beaten to it by one of my officers.

"Sorry Alpha. I've been wanting to do that for months. I remember what it was like before Damien and I wasn't going to let him spread lies about you anymore."

"Your loyalty is appreciated. You and I will need to have a conversation but before that, let's get our Luna back."