Part 18

Dakota

"First, I would like to thank you all for coming. We've known for a long time that this monster needed to be put down, but the Council has refused our pleas. We all know the stories of how he first took over and started his reign of terror. However, there is something only a privileged few know.

We have kept this secret for 15 years, laying in wait for our moment. You all know my Beta Dakota. Every one of you has worked with him and showered him with praise to his face but especially to mine.

Dakota and his Grandmother, who you also know and love, came to me 15 years ago asking for shelter. You see, they needed somewhere the could hide. I would soon find out exactly why."

The Alphas and Betas of every pack that have come to help us move their eyes between me, my grandmother, and Jeremy.

Jeremy looks at me and I nod, stepping forward. "You all know me as Dakota Sawyer. When I was born, however, I was given the name Henry Weylyn." Whispers ricochet through the group, some not believing it while others are smiling and nodding. "My grandmother and I barely survived the night of the coup. For 15 years, we have lived in hiding, training, learning, growing stronger.

"12 days ago, I infiltrated his pack, posing as his Beta. 12 days ago, I discovered I wasn't the only one who survived that night. Aiyana Miller, daughter of the former Beta, has been his captive prisoner for 15 years. I wasn't able to tell her my true identity as it was too risky, but she trusts me and told me many of the horrors he has committed against her."

Whispers resume, only they are much louder now; people calling Damien a monster or calling for his head.

"Why would she trust you without knowing who you truly are?"

I take a deep breath, "Because we are Mates. My grandmother and I have known for 15 years, but it wasn't confirmed until she came across me and my camp in the woods when I first got here."

What should be cause for celebration, creates a somber atmosphere as everyone realizes the risks today brings.

We have a large table set up with a map of the pack house and the surrounding area.

"The Pack House is a pretty large complex that has been added onto several times over the last decade. There are a total of about 150 apartments that are at about 80% capacity. The Elders are housed in the cottages surrounding the main building.

"The practice fields are just north of the Pack House, with the cottages for the Alpha and Beta families south of the complex. Damien is holding this sham of a wedding in the caverns but until then Aiyana will still be staying in her apartment.

"We want to make sure they can't get to the caverns. Once the pack is in the caverns for the ceremony, it could turn into a blood bath. The wedding has likely been moved up since he knows that Aiyana and I mated already.

"Jeremy and I will take the best of your warriors and work on taking out the guards. Our priority is to bring Damien down with as little bloodshed as possible. The rest of the warriors will work on getting the civilians out of the way and protecting them from any of the guards we haven't taken out that he has set up to keep them there."

I show them on the map the route we will be taking to get each of these tasks done.

"Now, should something happen and he still manages to get to the cave, the ceiling of the cave is open. It's about 100 feet across and a 50ft drop to the cavern floor. There are plenty of trees surrounding the top so should we need to, we'll be able to use the climbing equipment to repel down into the cavern."

I work with Jeremy and the other Alphas to pull our plan together and make sure we are covered for every eventuality. While normally I would be against guns, we do have a pack who has a warrior that went into the human army and became a sniper. This will come in handy with the areas clogged with civilians.

By nightfall, we are ready to move out. Jeremy and I lead our team in first, staying in the shadows until we are ready to strike.

I watch as one by one the perimeter guards are killed. Unfortunately we aren't in a situation where we can leave potential combatants alive.

We have come in from the north through the training fields, so in order to get to Damien at his cottage, we'll need to get through the majority of the guards in the complex.

All of a sudden, a wolf howls, alerting the rest of the guards to our presence. Jeremy sends some of the men to go find that wolf while the rest of us move forward to meet the growing mass of meathead soldiers Damien has enlisted.

Fortunately we did plan for this, so we start to move into formation. I look at Jeremy once more in the calm of the storm.

"Whatever happens, thank you Brother." We brace arms before turning back to the army across from us.

Who knew the training fields would be the stage for the most important battle of all?