Part 8

Aiyana

Pain. So much pain.

A searing pain in my chest, and a heaviness I can't explain.

What's happening to me?

I remember fighting with Dakota. A tear slips down my cheek as I realize I won't ever see him again. I'm going to die here.

I remember bits and pieces of what happened after that. I remember swimming and feeling the bullet pierce my chest. A silver bullet.

I manage to open my eyes and look down at my chest. It's covered in silver vein-like lines spreading out from the bullet wound.

I close my eyes as the pain radiates through my body.

I try to get a grip on my surroundings, trying to devise an escape plan. I'm on a table of some sort. I can't tell what kind of table but it's cold so I assume some kind of metal.

I have restraints on my wrists and ankles, making it impossible to free myself from the bindings.

I pull against them with what little strength I have left.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. No moving. You're already too weak and I can't have you dying before your alpha gets here."

I scoff, more tears seeping out of my eyes. "He won't come for me. He'll be glad to be rid of me."

I hear him chuckle, "I wouldn't be so sure about that. He got himself some help, which is great for me because it means I get to kill more abominations like you."

A needle pricks my skin, causing me to hiss in pain. "Now go back to sleep. Don't want you awake just yet."

My vision goes black once more, plunging me into cold darkness.

~~~~~~

Dakota

I need to get to her.

The pain in my chest is getting worse which doesn't bode well for Aiyana. What was I thinking?

I shouldn't have let her run away like that. I should have explained.

Her scent is getting stronger so it means we're close. I shift back to my human form, making my way up to the ridge quietly.

I'm joined by Damien and several of his men as we look down at the abandoned building.

It looks like it hasn't been used in at least half a century with moss and vines covering the exterior.

I look to Damien, waiting for his orders to go in. I know how I would proceed but if I don't show him that I can bow to his "authority", then my plans won't succeed.

"Jacobs. Trey. Perimeter. I want to know every exit."

The two men who had walked up shifted and took off. The longer they're gone, the smaller the chance that Aiyana is still alive.

I'm growing restless when I see them coming back.

"Three exits sir. The one in front and two in the back."

Damien nods, "Okay you two each take a team to each of the exits. Dakota and I will go through the front door. That okay with you?"

He turns to me expectantly.

I nod, "Yes, Alpha."

We split up and Damien and I make our way to the building. I'm waiting for traps but perhaps the Hunter wasn't expecting us so soon and didn't have the chance to set them up yet.

My thoughts are answered when I hear mechanisms start to turn. I push Damien to the ground as arrows are shot in the direction we came from.

We stand up slowly, paying more attention in order to not trip any more wires.

We manage to get inside the building but we're met with a maze.

I close my eyes and shift, concentrating on Aiyana's scent. It hits me like a ton of bricks and I take off with Damien close behind.

After what feels like ages of running, we make it to a large room where Aiyana is strapped to a metal exam table.

"Aiyana!"

Damien takes a quick step towards her but is stopped in his tracks when the Hunter appears out of the shadows.

"Not any closer if you don't mind." The Hunter reveals a gun, holding it to Aiyana's head.

I growl deeply, making the Hunter chuckle.

"I'm glad you two could finally make it. Don't worry, she's still alive. I injected her with a toxin that slows down her heart rate enough that you wouldn't be able to pick it up and follow it here. I was hoping that the wolfsbane and silver in her blood would have kept you at bay but it seems I underestimated the talents of your new tracker." He looks at me with a smirk before turning back to Damien.

"Give her back to me now and I won't let my new tracker rip you limb from limb. It's a shame too. He's known for his savagery and blood lust. I promised him your head, but if denying him means I get Aiyana back then so be it."

I'm not sure who is more surprised by his words, the Hunter, or me.

"If you think I'm letting any of you walk out of this building, you're mistaken. I might die with you, but so be it. The more monsters I can kill, the better."

I snarl at him. If it weren't for Aiyana I would have bull rushed him already.

Damien holds his hand up to quiet me. "Wake her up. She's innocent in all of this. If you let her and I go, I'm sure we can come up with a deal. I can give you riches beyond your imagination. Let us go, and you'll never want for anything."

The Hunter seems to consider this before he grabs another syringe, plunging it into her chest.

Aiyana wakes with a start, looking around with fear in her eyes. "Damien?" Her eyes meet mine and I have to stop the whimper that wants to escape when I see how much pain she is in just from me being here.

She looks back at Damien, "You came for me..."

"Of course I did, you're my Luna. I'll always come for you."

His words sent shivers down my spine, steeling my decision to stay instead of runaway with Aiyana. We would never have been able to slow down or have a normal life. Now more than ever I believe in my mission.