Part 5

I get back to the pack house just before sunset, pulling on the clothes I had left here before my run.

I make my way inside, knowing I'll have to make an appearance at dinner to appease Damien. I get to the dining hall just as the last people are walking in.

I hear whispers as I pass people on my way to the head table. I've gotten used to their whispers but tonight they're a bit louder.

I take a seat next to Damien who is smiling widely at me, if you can even call it a smile. It's more like a sneer. As soon as I sit, Damien stands, causing the whole room to go silent.

"Hello my brothers and sisters. I'm sure you've heard some rumours already today, so let me be clear. In just two short weeks, Aiyana will indeed become my wife and your Luna."

The whispers intensify and I can't help but look down at my hands. I don't want to meet anyone's eyes for fear they would look into them and see my fear and hatred for the man I'm supposed to be in love with.

"As the day comes closer no doubt we will all feel the excitement in the air. This will be a magical day for all of us. You may return to your dinner."

He sits and I swallow hard as he rests a hand on my leg. I want to shudder and push his hand away but I learned a long time ago not to do anything like that in front of people.

A plate gets set in front of me but I'm not hungry so I end up just pushing the food around on my plate.

"Where were you this afternoon?"

"I went for a run."

"Did you swim in the watering hole as well?"

I look up at him in surprise, "Yes, I did."

"Your scent is being masked by water and mud." He says as if he could hear my inner thoughts. "You need to start embracing your role as this pack's Luna. Frivolous activities like that will be forbidden once we are married."

I swallow hard, looking down at my food once more. Is he trying to break my spirit so I will submit to him?

I see people start to leave so I turn to Damien, "May I please be excused to my room?"

He nods, going back to his conversation.

I quickly make my way to my room before closing and locking the door. I take a deep breath as I slide down the door to the floor. Two weeks. That's all the time I have left before my life will officially be over.

The next morning is spent watching Damien initiate a group of new wolves into the pack. They all look excited but my initiation was much more somber.

A wolf's initiation is supposed to be joyous, spent celebrating with your parents and the whole pack after the ritual ceremony with the Alpha. As my family was dead, it was spent with servants who were forbidden from speaking to me and Damien and his goons.

When the ritual is over, the wolves and their families depart for their private celebrations before rejoining the whole pack tonight for a massive celebration. Damien forced me to attend each and every event in the hopes that I will take to being the Luna and will finally agree to marry him.

I nervously tap on Damien's shoulder, bowing my head as I wait for him to acknowledge me. "Yes?"

"Sir, can I please go to the forest for my daily run? I... I want to stay in shape for our wedding. They worked so hard to get my measurements, I don't want them to be wrong."

Not that they would be as I don't eat much, but he doesn't know that. I feel his suspicious gaze bore into me, making me sweat slightly.

"Fine. Be back before sundown for dinner."

I nod, keeping my head low as I make my way towards the tree line before shifting. I dart through the woods, taking my scent for a ride.

I finally get to Dakota's clearing and I'm panting, not just from the running, but from my excitement.

He must have heard me because he comes out of his tent and smiles brightly. In a matter of seconds, I've shifted and I'm in his arms. I take in his scent, letting it surround and calm me.

"I missed you."

His deep chuckle resonates in his chest, "I missed you too."

I look up into his warm eyes, "Tell me about you. I want to know everything."

He smiles down at me, gently pushing my hair back behind my ears. "I'll start a fire while you put some clothes on and then I'll tell you all you want to know."

He kisses my forehead before moving towards the fire pit.

I walk into his tent, pulling on a pair of his boxers and his t-shirt. I don't think I'll ever get tired of his scent and I want to take this shirt back with me so that I can always have his scent.