Part 21

Aiyana

"Aiyana! Hold on!"

I look up, trying to see my brother and Henry.

"Liam, go get our parents. I'll help Aiyana. Go!"

I can't help but look down below me, the sight making me dizzy.

"Aiyana, look at me. I know you're scared but the more you move, the more likely you are to fall. Okay?"

I nod up at him quickly, "Please Henry. Please don't let me fall."

He grabs onto my arms, "I'm not going anywhere. I promise, okay? You're safe with me."

I look up into his eyes and I can see he's just as scared as I am.

"Henry! My fingers are slipping! Please don't let me go! I'm so scared!"

"I've got you! I've got you!"

I squeeze as hard as I can but I can still feel myself slipping.

Everything happens in slow motion.

My screams echo off the walls of the cavern as I fall.

I don't remember hitting the ground but suddenly Henry is standing over me.

"No! Aiyana! Look at me baby, stay with me! You aren't allowed to die! I just got you back, I can't lose you again!"

"Henry? What do you mean?"

There's suddenly a loud ringing in my ears and I can't hear what anyone is saying but I know they're talking.

Their voices are replaced with whispers. I don't recognize the voices but they're overwhelming.

"Stop! Please! I cant understand what you're saying!" I wrap my arms around my knees as I cover my head in an attempt to shut them out.

I feel a hand on my shoulder causing me to look up. "Momma?" I look behind her, "Papa? Liam? Why are you here?"

"We're here for you child. It's time to come home. Your time on earth is done."

Tears spring to my eyes as I stand up and hug them tightly to me. "I've missed you so much."

They hug me tightly to them and I've only felt more whole once. Dakota.

"Wait..."

My mother cradles my face, "What is it my child? It's time for us to rejoin the ancestors."

"What about Dakota? He's my mate."

"Henry is your mate."

I look at my brother, "What do you mean? Henry is dead."

He smiles, reaching forward and touching my chest. "Look into your heart, sister."

I think back to the day I fell and the fear in his eyes. An image of Dakota looking at me with that same fear, those same eyes, pops into my head.

"Dakota is Henry." It's not even a question because as soon as I say it I know it to be true.

I think back through the last two weeks. He knew my name. As soon as he touched my head he knew my name. He couldn't leave because the whole reason for coming back was to take revenge on Damien.

"Henry is in danger. We were with Damien. He was severely injured. He needs me."

"Your job is done, Aiyana. Come, your place is with us, with our ancestors."

"No! My place is with Henry! With our baby! Our baby..." I look down at my belly.

Tears spring to my eyes, "Our baby is dead. Isn't he?"

My parents look at me with sad eyes, "It's meant to be, princess. His place is with us just as yours is."

"No! I refuse to let my baby die. Send me back!"

"Sweetheart..."

"Papa, no! I love you all and I wish I could come with you, but it's not my time. My place is with Henry. With our baby. So send me back!"

My father walks up to me, cradling my face before kissing my forehead. "You were always meant for great things." He touches my heart, sending a shock through my body.

"Papa? What was that?"

"I'm sending you back." He touches my chest again, another shock spreading from his fingertips down to my toes.

The shock is replaced with warmth as I'm ripped away from my family. When the spinning stops, all I feel is pain.

It starts in my chest under my rib cage and radiates into the rest of my body. Slowly I start to realize I'm floating in water. How did I get in water?

Aiyana...

I hear my name whispered in my head as if the voice is far away.

Aiyana.

The voice is louder. It's Henry.

Henry!

Aiyana! Thank the Goddess!

Where am I?

You're in the moon pool. Don't struggle. The Elders had me place you in here. I didn't believe them at first but my Goddess, it worked. I thought I lost you.

I'm back. I'm home.

What about the baby?

We won't know until we have one of the doctors look at you but you were only gone for a minute. I was trying to restart your heart when they told me to place you in the pool and if the Goddess willed you to live then you would live.

How do I wake up?

I suddenly feel strong hands pull me forward, my lungs burning until I'm able to gasp for air.

I look up and see Henry, my heart bursting. "Henry..."

The smile he gives me is unlike anything I've ever seen.

"Aiyana."

He leans down, his lips caressing mine as he kisses me more deeply than I've ever been kissed.