21. Golden-3

"So?" she asked raising her eyebrow questioningly.

She stopped herself from laughing aloud as only his flustered face came as a reply.

"Karna, people elope and get married in temples and we are only hugging" she teased.

"Oh that's all very well..." Karna fumbled for words as a faint blush crept up his neck, mentally relieved that he had sent away all the servants earlier  "But... it is Mahadev we are worshipping so..."

"Shiva and Parvati are considered to epitomise love in all its form" Shakthiselvi replied, "Besides, a shivling is also a phallic symbol, symbolizing the union of the feminine and the masculine principles, an emblem of generative power, the totality of all existence—"

Karna squirmed in his place. Shakthiselvi had no more been teasing but talking seriously about the significance of the shivling through history and Karna's reaction had definitely startled her. She could not understand why he was acting in this manner.

"Karna, what happened? Are you felling unwell?"

His cheeks had begun colouring a bright red. She was now genuinely concerned and raised a hand to his forehead with the motive of checking his temperature and to her further shock, he flinched, looking away from her.

"Karna, what's wrong?" she asked, the panic rising in her voice.

"Shakthiselvi" Karna began after having composed himself considerably "We are young and unmarried... so we can't talk about all this... so openly."

He watched her staring at him with wide eyes as the prior worry from her face dissipated, making way for an incredulity and delight.

"Oh Karna" she uttered between her laughs "We have such a huge generation gap between us."

Her laughter felt like music to his ears. He could only continue listening and had not the heart to interrupt.

"Looks like I will have a tough time bridging that gap." She said, wiping away a tear from the corner of her eye.

"Ujjwalashni"

"Ujjwalshini means 'golden lightning'" he answered her questioning look "You are golden, both metaphorically, bringing prosperity to Anga, as well as—"

His gaze ranged from her head to feet, decked in beautiful golden ornaments glinting in the single light of the diya.

"Literally" he continued, delighting in her sweet smile "Hence, 'ujjwal'. And you came into my life like a flash of lightning, hence 'ashni'. Ujjwalashni."

'And I don't want you to go away like a flash of lightning as well' he wanted to say but held back.

"Can I call you Ujjwalashni?" he said instead.

"Of course" she replied, a shy smile on her lips, as two familiar and much cherished voices called 'Shaks' in her head.

The names that friends give you from their hearts are always so special.

"You know, Ujjwalashni, I was not allowing you to go to Hastinapur, because" Karna said pulling her out from her train of thoughts "Because I have many enemies outside. I did not want you to be hurt in the slightest, you are understanding...?"

"I will be careful, Karna" she replied reassuringly "Besides what have I to fear when you are at my side."

The diya glimmering against the inky blackness of the night sky was the sole witness to this beautiful exachange of words and smiles between the two friends, fate had brought together from eons apart.

---------------

P.S. The views expressed in this chapter with regards to the 'shivling' is based purely on historical and sociological facts and the intention is not to hurt the religious sentiments of anyone.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingam