8. Making Misery

Dushala fidgeted with end of her pallu nervously at the catastrophe, she was sure was due. She noticed Dhaarya's hand carrying the bucket strain slightly.

"Unusual" she wondered "She is carrying an empty bucket."

From the corner of her eyes she could see the childishly vengeful smirk form on her brother's lips. She had nearly pressed her eyes shut when an angry scream from her brother and a sharp pressure on her knees brought her back to reality.

Dhaarya had fallen near her feet, her hands clutching her knees. Instinctively Dushala put her hands on Dhaarya's shoulders reassuringly and then turned to her elder brother.

Duryodhan was dripping wet, water trailing down his body. The bucket was thrown on the floor nearby while the mop slowly trailed down his face to his lap leaving to the view of the world the horrifying face of the master mace wielder, Duryodhan, seething in rage.

"I am sorry. I slipped and fell" Dhaarya began tearfully but the tinge of mockery in her voice was certainly not unnoticeable "Rajkumari you saw that... I couldn't keep my balance..."

Dushala could only nod reassuringly at Dhaarya. She could see the anger boiling up in her brother.

"You" Duryodhan hissed glaring at Dhaarya "It is only because my sister has given you protection and because I cannot dishonour her words that I have not yet thrown you out of palace."

"You cannot treat your servants any way you like and expect them not to retaliate" Dhaarya shot back, returning his glare with equal intensity.

"You are supposed to follow the orders of your masters and I ordered you to clean the mess. There was no wrong committed."

"But you are not supposed to create the mess in the first place. If you can do so then you can expect your servant's to also be prone to creating messes."

Both of them were heaving, their death glares at each other intact. Duryodhan stood up furiously. He glowered at the still kneeling figure of Dhaarya for some time. He smirked at her menacingly before reaching up to unpin his angavastra (upper garment).

Dhaarya was watching his actions curiously when her vision was suddenly obstructed. Duryodhan had thrown his wet angavastra on her, covering her face and back. She was struggling to remove the large piece of garment from her head when she was stopped by a sudden, strong grip on her hands. She felt someone move very close to one of the sides of her face.

"Now know this, Dhaarya, I am going to make your life miserable until you apologise" Duryodhan hissed into her ears before rising up again.

"Bring me my garment when you have cleaned and dried it" he commanded at Dhaarya, he resisted chuckling at her.

Dhaarya was indeed looking somewhat funny as she glared at him, her face now peeking out beneath his elaborate and heavy angavastra.

"Rajkumar you may as well rest assured that your life too will not be easy until my apology...if it comes at all."

Duryodhan snorted at her before turning towards the doors. Once he had strode out from the chambers, Dhaarya turned to Dushala uneasily. She liked the princess of Hastinapur who had always been nothing but kind to her. Dushala sensed this and broke into giggles.

"Dhaarya, you seriously deserve an award" she exclaimed "No one even dares to prank bhratashri and you... Amazing. But Dhaarya now you must remain strong. Whatever be it don't falter."

Both girls giggled with each other chattering merrily for the rest of the afternoon.