22. Plans

Preethika hopped over the tree roots spreading inconspicuously through the lush green carpet of long grown wild grass and the various dry leaves strewn over it. She had now become well acquainted with the outer ring of the forest. She was learning to sense the directions by the smell of the diverse flowers and fruits.

Her black, wavy hair, now grown till her armpits, bounced in the breeze and so did the end of her saree. The empty pitcher swayed rhythmically with the movement of her hand. The chirruping of the morning birds was creating a musical panoply underneath the soft sunlight.

Preethika's destination was the river and return to the ashram with a fully filled pitcher. She ran happily when there was a sudden tug at her pallu (end of the saree left flowing freely at the back). She carelessly pulled at it, assuming it must have got stuck in a tree branch, but her efforts bore no fruit.

She turned around and to her great surprise, a tall man with medium complexion, well built and apparently strong by the casual way he held her saree in so strong a grip. She watched him for a while as his deep, twinkling eyes set on his serene and calm face gazed adoringly at her.

"What are you doing here, early in the morning?" she asked finally, staring intently at the man who still held her immobile.

"Is it not yet apparent, Prakriti?" he asked pulling her saree and consequently also drawing her closer to him.

"Not really" she remarked teasingly, her back now a few inches from him "Such behaviour coming from Dharmaraj"

"The laws of forests are more liberating than those of society" Yudhistir replied, carefully gathering her pallu into his fist "We are more free to be ourselves here than a mould of what others want us to be."

"So, Dharmaraj, we are discussing the dharma of forests today?" She asked craning her neck behind to face him as her head brushed against his chin.

"Yes, but along with other things" Yudhistir said mischievously, bringing his head a little lower beside hers.

Both their cheeks coloured lightly. The proximity between them in the pleasant solitude of the forest, Yudhistir found strangely comforting. He would never talk to any girl of his own accord but she was different, always putting him at ease and nervousness simultaneously with her flamboyant and merry self.

"Oh, yes. I have to fill the pitcher" Preethika replied, darting her eyes sideways to his face.

"Sure, Prakriti" Yudhistir agreed.

Had Preethika been able to see his eyes clearly, she wouldn't have missed the playfulness they bore. She stepped forward but could proceed no more beyond that.

She spun around to find Yudhisrir holding up her pallu in his fist, smiling at her with a childish glee.

"After my plans, Prakriti"