7. Sister In The Middle

"Oh thank you Bhratashri. I love these" Dushala beamed at her brother.

Yudhistir never failed to get her white lilies, the wild variety with their exquisite scent. They could be found only in the forest and were not easy to get.

"Anything for my only sister" Yudhistir grinned back "If you want I can go get fresh ones everyday."

"Oh there is no need. I know it is hard to get them and I really appreciate the effort you put in" she replied sweetly.

Yudhistir's mind fleeted to a plump, petite girl, her short wavy hair combed carelessly, the end of her sandal colour saree lined with maroon flying in the soft breeze. Her laughter unusually boisterous for females was still ringing in his ears accompanied by her rushed exclamations in a foreign tongue. Oh, he had never enjoyed collecting fruits and flowers more, before in all his life.

"Bhratashri what thought drives you away from the realms of reality?" Dushala asked curiously.

"Oh oh Dushala. I am sorry. I was just—"he stopped, he could not lie.

"You can tell me. It may unburden you" she replied concerned, her bhrata Yudhistir seldom lost focus.

"Dushala you will not tell anyone will you?" he asked smiling, as she vigorously shook her head, it was best telling his sweet sister than his brothers who would tease him to no end.

Dushala smiled uncontrollably through his narration and was badgering him witthquestions even before he completed. Yudhistir teasingly put his fingers in hi sears making her go into a laughing fit.

"So Dushala tell me what else I can do?" he asked after she had calmed down considerably.

"I can't believe you made the first move bharatshri! It is so unexpected of you. But I am so proud of you" she rolled out one after the other making Yudhistir gestureto her to calm down while an incredulous smile played on his lips.

"Yes Yes Bhratashri. Right now you should talk to her more, make her feel comfortable around you, build her trust in you. I am sure you can do them easily. I will tell you more as you progress" she smiled at him sweetly.

Just then a trumpet blew and an announcement.

"Rajkumar Duryodhan is entering."

"Oh two of my brothers in one place" she exclaimed in a voice that would confuse the listener if it contained joy or worry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duryodhan was in a bad mood. The court proceedings had not gone as he had imagined. He needed to calm down and the best place for it was wherever his little sister was.

Duryodhan waited impatiently for court to start. They would wait for their Yuvraj Yudhistir for another five minutes beginning the proceedings. He scoffed to himself. Today was his day. He would bring to light the loopholes in the policing system of the state and earn praises for himself.

Five minutes were nearly over and he fidgeted on his seat excitedly. There was a sudden surge in activity near the doors of the sabha (court/assembly room) and the serene face of Yudhistir appeared.

"Maharaj today I want to bring the attention of the sabha to a much important issue plaguing our kingdom" Yudhistir began "I am observed that the policing system in place in our country has become redundant and needs modernisation..."

And he went on while Duryodhan fumed, the praises in favour of his cousin burning in his ears.

"Bhrata Duryodhan" Yudhistir smiled acknowledging his cousin.

Duryodhan scowled. What was he doing here? He was the last person he wanted to see right now!

"What are you doing here?" he asked rather ungraciously.

"I came to give our sister her flowers bhrata Duryodhan" his cousin replied sweetly.

"And I came to give her the vase" Duryodhan muttered "Besides Pitamah has called for you urgently."

"Looks like I will have to take my leave for now Dushala, I will see you soon" Yushistir said rising up smiling at his sister who returned it graciously.

Once alone with Dushala, Duryodhan's frustrations and annoyance erupted. Dushala listened patiently, accustomed to her brothers' ranting since her childhood.

"You don't know Dushala. I felt so cheated today! I—"

He angrily spilt out a jug of water, followed by another, then another, well until there was a 'miniature pool' of water around them.

"Feeling better Bhratashi? Take a deep breath in... and out...in" she said soothingly mentally thanking her lucky stars that they were not sitting in the carpeted areas.

She gestured to one of the maids to clean up the mess of water while she continued calming her brother.

"Wait" he suddenly spoke up "Not you... You, you there. Come, come and clean this."

Dushala followed the direction his finger was pointing and her eyebrows shot up instantly. He was pointing at Dhaarya!

"It is okay bhratashri. She can do this job better than her" she tried to intervene.

"No" he continued furiously "No. It is because of this girl that today I was embarrassed in court. What are you waiting for girl. Come and clean this up"

Dushala did not miss the deadly glint in Dhaarya's eyes as she approached them with a mop and bucket in hand. She bit her lips nervously, this was not going to be pleasant.