20. Golden-2

"Because Shakthiselvi, this intelligent friend of yours has already knocked sense into himself ."

"What?" she questioned "Why are you speaking in riddles?"

Karna broke into a hearty laugh at the exasperation on her pretty face.

"I have arranged a news network system for you. You will get to know all about the happenings of Aryavart through it. It is more like my spy network but of course some levels lower. You like the idea of it?"

"It isn't bad. But it would be better if—"

"If you could connect as well. Yes you can do that. You will use my seal for any communication. You can sign as my correspondent and friend. But..."

"Hmm?"

He looked down at her. She was bestowing on him, her resplendent smile, her eyes gazing at him admiringly. He did not want to bring it to an abrupt end.

"But..." he began tenaciously "I will be going through the letters and messages first, at least the initial ones."

"Oh of course" she agreed much to his surprise "I was also thinking of asking you to do the same. I need assistance to draft the initial communications. I can't understand how to start the process."

"Oh sure" Karna replied, pleased that she had not protested against his arrangement "I am sorry but I cannot let you go to Hastinaapur though..."

"That's completely fine" she said gently placing a hand on his tough wrist "You have the right to do so."

"But you...?"

"I feel safe and protected in the knowledge that someone is not going to keep pushing me to achieve more and more but rather prefer to shade me from the harshness of the world, be content and accept me for who I am."

Karna said nothing to that as his gaze remained unmoved from her. He was unable to articulate his thoughts on it. He could sense several layers of meaning and experiences of her past hidden behind that statement.

She continued smiling at him steadily. She observed that he was deep in thought. She let out a sudden giggle.

"Oh Karna you are so sweet" she remarked, wrapping her arms around him, making him gasp in shock.

"Shakthi" Karna whispered, hesitantly resting his hands on the back of her shoulders "This is unethical."

"What is unethical?" she asked, still holding him in the embrace.

"Unmarried girls and boys cannot hug each other" he answered, gently lifting one of her hands from his back.

"But I am comfortable with you, Karna" she replied releasing him "It depends on the comfort level you experience with the person and not whether they are a girl or a boy. I wouldn't let a girl even come near me if I am uncomfortable with her."

"Oh, you have got a point there" Karna said, genuinely impressed by view and also strangely elated that she felt comfortable with him, "But, Shakthi, we are at a temple."